Sea chest/ campaign chest fittings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tmt77

Oct 20, 2008
Exeter
Hi all.

Bit more joinery than bushcraft but probably of interest

Not quite sure what the correct terminology is. You see them sometimes in military museums etc. Looks like a normal heavy duty trunk but the inside is fitted out with a tray for wash bowl, shaving soap/ mirror etc.

Has anybody got one/ had a go at making one? I am thinking about making up such a tray to fit an existing trunk, easy enough to come up with something but they often look to have quite clever folding and storage arrangements.

Any thoughts or info greatly appreciated

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Any I've seen pictures of were just like a short chest of drawers on top of another short chest of drawers.
Two drawers in a carcase on top of another two drawers in another carcase. The drawers had locks and the carcases had handles on the sides to lift them about with.
Then there was a cleat on top that corresponded to a recess on the bottom of the other, think one could have the normally bottom two on top of the normally top two and I guess you could add another two as and when.

Seemed a practical way of doing it to me.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
The one you're thinking off could well have been a Midshipmans chest, I remember seeing one at BRNC Dartmouth. A rare thing I understand, once they started providing a sink and running water at sea most of the chests were stripped inside and just used to haul stuff around.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE