scything

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
anyone do this? I just spent an hour or so (until rain stopped play) being a grim reaper. We currently* have about 3/4 acre of paddock that requires some serious cutting to keep in anywhere near workable. Eventually some of it will become a vege garden and the bulk of it will become a livestock paddock (either table chucks or weaner porkers, we're not yet decided) but in the meantime it needs to be kept under control without the expense of a big mower (our little one wouldn't cope) so a scythe is the obvious answer.
I'm surprised at how effective and quick it is. And once you've got the technique down it's not much harder than a strimmer, but a lot more pleasent. Instead of the clatter and racket of 2 stroke in my ears I had the gentle swish of a blade and the croaking of a pair of ravens. Much more preferable.
Think i'm becoming addicted to this scything thing.:cool:

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Used to do a lot in the yard when I lived in Canada, they work a treat and it's good honest work. I'd love one for my massive allotment but use an Elwell sickle, another lovely old tool that performs great just not as quick as a scythe!

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Yeah I used to have a little Scythe that was great until father-in-law broke it. Hired a Petrol strimmer to clear a patch and used the scythe in the end as was just as quick but far more fun. Have a full size one with Hickory handle in the garage needing repair. will do it one day!

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
Yeah I used to have a little Scythe that was great until father-in-law broke it. Hired a Petrol strimmer to clear a patch and used the scythe in the end as was just as quick but far more fun. Have a full size one with Hickory handle in the garage needing repair. will do it one day!

that sounds nice. I must confess that mine has an aluminium alloy handle. We bought that one cos it was the only type they had in stock at our local agri merchents. Still hankering after a nice, wooden handled one. I used to see loads at old tool type stalls, but don't seem to see any down here.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Still quite common in these parts, even more so next door in Transylvania.

Much cheaper to run in that they use sausage, bread and plum brandy as a fuel source rather than petrol.

:)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I used a sickle borrowed from my Dad on my allotment when I got it (gave it up as it was too much of a commitment for just me to manage). It had a lot of weed growth on it about 1.5 feet high or more. I just bent over and got it cut in wide sweeping arcs. Lovely once you got the efficient action sorted. Must be kept sharp though. Of course if the vegetation has gone to seed the scything or sickling is also good at spreading the seed. Learnt that the hard way when after a spell of dry weather followed by rainy weather meant everything grew a foot in less than a week which was when I was away. from bare soil to over 1 foot high weeds covering 2" high crop in 1 week isn't good so if the vegetation is to seed it is probably best to try and another way if the area is small enough.

BTW if you have pigs on the land then isn't it better to leave the job to them? I always thought they were nature's clearance experts. Get a few pigs on overgrown land and before you know it vegetation is gone and the soil is nicely turned over.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
we're not sure yet if we're getting pigs or table birds. If I was sure of pigs then it'd save me a job, but chucks can suffer a bit if put on long grass. Ideally I'd like pigs, but there are some unusual access issues to the paddock (and mrs tallM doesn't like pig meat too much, but is agreeable to chucks).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE