Scottish people....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I'll keep it short. Scotland, northern lights, winter, if possible/if it happens, where's the best place to go? Shoestring budget too! Obviously well aware of the science behind it, but anything to shorten the odds locationwise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
North East.

It's generally clearer and drier that side of the country, and the further north you go the better your chances of seeing the dancers :)

We very, very occasionally see the lights down here, further up, you're more likely to have better luck.

Do you want campsites, or just areas ?

atb,
M

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I have seen excellent displays in Aberdeen City but none so far out on Banchory :(

I get email alerts from Aurora Watch when there is increased magnetic activity...

http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/

If you get to Orkney or even better Shetland, that would be good, but appreciate your on a budget.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Northern Lights can be seen down as far as Perthshire - but not very often. More frequent the further North you go. Aberdeen is at a fairly regular latitude for it. Up on the Northern Islands can be pretty spectacular. Like Caithness coast & Orkney. But not a cheap place to get too. Though if you want to mix it with spectacular scenery and more archaeology per square mile than anywhere in Europe a shoe in. Think Northern Lights over Skara Brae or Ring of Brodgar and due to lack of light pollution fantastically clear. January is generally the best time and prices are down. Though winter storms can make getting there "interesting". These guys LINK can "forecast" when sightings are likely and contact you if you subscribe. Though never guaranteed. Also watch the news and the likes for sun spot activity.

Hope this helps a bit?

ATB,
GB.

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
North East.

It's generally clearer and drier that side of the country, and the further north you go the better your chances of seeing the dancers :)

We very, very occasionally see the lights down here, further up, you're more likely to have better luck.

Do you want campsites, or just areas ?

atb,
M

Either/either please, Mary. This is for a friend of mine who asked. I reckon b&b would be best, but not adverse to setting up a bivvy/campfire to sit out somewhere for a few hours if possible.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I saw some quite spectacular displays on Lismore once (a little north of Oban), that would have been early May I think. In fact those were more memorable than ones which I saw in Arctic Sweden in January. However I think Toddy is correct, east coat and the further north the better. :)

I get some displays where I am in the North East and it helps that I am well away from the larger towns and Aberdeen. Last ones I have seen have been faint but I seemed to have missed the time. But none the less it was great to watch a faint curtain dance across the sky.
The further north the better providing the weather stays clear.

The link that Stuart provided above is great for alerts.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not heard of tumshies even though I grew up in Falkirk. Guess its a term used even further south?

Loved the quote on that website by the way:

" See him, he's a richt tumshie- bought the Forth Bridge for scrap as he wis tell't they're building a fifth ain!"

Must say I always thought it was more Doric, but it's seemingly a lowlands word. A good one though.:)

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
I do a bit of Astronomy . Aurora has been seen ( though very feint ) as far South as Newcastle, believe it or not. Best images I have ever seen ( in UK ) are by another astronomer/photographer who lives in Caithness ( Thurso , IIRC ) You ideally want to get away from light pollution, so further North the better. As you now the science I'll skip the x class flares ! HTH.

Pete

Edit, eeek , need to reset the layout of thread, I thought you had no replies before mine !

Last edited:

Marco1981

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 18, 2011
Orkney
I live in Orkney, but have yet to see them fully after four years. All I have seen of them is a faint wavy blue haze. Still waiting for the full effect.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE