Scottish Meet Up!! - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
bothyman said:
Many thanks for the offer Troy, wouldn't mind going. :rolleyes:

Where is it.?? :confused:

Thats if I can find a lift to Inverness as I don't really fancy leaving the Cabriolet in Inverness for a couple of nights as its not the securest vehicle to leave on its own overnight in the big city. :eek:

The site is on Loch Tay and I have friends in Inverness who I'm sure would let you leave the car safe in their drive.

Cheers,
Toddy

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"Anybody want to come and do a recce?"

Hi Toddy

I live in Perthshire (mostly) and should be free on the 21st for a recce...

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I'm also in Perthshire and should have finished surgery by 2pm or so.

Sounds a good place. Is it near the Crannog?

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Toddy where is it??
Been to Kenmore, Killin, Fortingall, and used to have to do a run down to Tummel Bridge every month once, A9 and over Wades Road to Trinafour then over the side of the hill down into Tummel bridge did that for years...
Never did get time to have a look around sort of do the job and out again sort of thing.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Somewhere near the Kenmore end of the loch on the opposite shore from the Crannog :) The problem is that I haven't been on the site myself, I only know that it exists and have confirmed that it's available. That's why I'm chuffed Sandbender & Doc can come and do a recce with me once I get accurate directions.....it might not be suitable ......We'll let everyone know if it's going to be fine as soon as possible.

Cheers,
Toddy

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
can remember from a recent tv program about the crannogs training program, that around the lake side, it looked flattish and some woodland - probably no help saying that, but the scenery should be great. So good oppurtunity for photos magikelly (if at eastern end of loch - sunrise shots best plus perhaps great sunset shots as well from Loch tummel ).
If we cannot shot our bows doc, I will be bringing some staves for people to chip away at. I get the shape cut out, just have to tiller them. Shooting wise, my aim ain't that good any way, I've only really shot arrows to test the bows, which has improved my arrow making because I keep loosing them!! I'll bring the rest of the basswood for strings.

wish I could make the recce - but will look forward to out come.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
troy said:
can remember from a recent tv program about the crannogs training program, that around the lake side, it looked flattish and some woodland - probably no help saying that, but the scenery should be great. So good oppurtunity for photos magikelly (if at eastern end of loch - sunrise shots best plus perhaps great sunset shots as well from Loch tummel ).

Sure I will have the camera but I wil also have my canoe. Can't go near water without it. I'll bring extra lifejackets and paddles :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wildlife is *no* problem; the ducks come into the onshore Crannog site to guzzle the spilt grain from the saddle quern....you've to the chase the ducklings away to get to the quern to demonstrate :D They are so used to the bow drill activity that they have virtually no fear even of fire.....one of the drakes nearly ended up in one of my dyebaths (huge big stainless steelpots) right beside the fire a fortnight ago.....seemed to think the fungi was edible :rolleyes:

Dawn is incredible, we were up on the hillside bothy and the clouds filled the loch from just below us, the sun rose and it was a sea of pink and gold, the mist just thinned and evaporated and the loch was as still as glass, surrounded by all the rich verdant forest, stunningly beautiful.

Cheers,
Toddy

troy

Forager
Aug 9, 2004
moray, scotland
www.mtn-m.co.uk
one of the drakes nearly ended up in one of my dyebaths (huge big stainless steelpots) right beside the fire a fortnight ago.....

I know this is off the subject, but I've been looking for a huge steel pot about 15 inches high and quite narrow to boil bow ends in before bending. I'm using jelly pots at the moment, but their not quite high enough - where did you get yours from?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
troy said:
I know this is off the subject, but I've been looking for a huge steel pot about 15 inches high and quite narrow to boil bow ends in before bending. I'm using jelly pots at the moment, but their not quite high enough - where did you get yours from?

Have you seen the thread about "nice big cauldrons" a week or so ago, the gas bottle pots I was talking about could be made from any size of gas bottle.

By the way I'm watching this thread with interest, although I'm not quite in your area I'd be very interested in a meet up there if it happens at a time I can attend.

Attachments

• cauldron.jpg
    cauldron.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
troy said:
one of the drakes nearly ended up in one of my dyebaths (huge big stainless steelpots) right beside the fire a fortnight ago.....

I got a set of four on ebay for £29.99. They were sold as 'Stockpots'. They aren't very heavy, but they work excellently for dyebaths.
I really like Wayland's cauldrons though and that might be a cheaper way of getting a good height on the pot.....I may just have to offer him a barter at some point :D

Cheers,
Toddy.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Hi guys!

Just found this thread by accident - didn't realise this discussion was still so active!

I'd love to come to whatever is being organised - I don't have a car, but I'm willing to either get train->cycle to a site, or meet up with anyone and share petrol costs etc, if thats possible.

Any ideas on a potential date for this? Or what activities might take place? I'd be up for doing demos etc on:

Wild plants and their uses
Primitive fire-making techniques (bow drill etc)
Knots & braiding, and some stuff with cordage, spinning, etc (although I suspect it'd be Toddy teaching us most of this :D

Is it worth PMing all the ppl on the BCUK map within 200 miles or so of Perthshire/Lanarkshire to see if they're interested - since they too might have missed this thread... I'd be up for this if its a good idea.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
[Is it worth PMing all the ppl on the BCUK map within 200 miles or so of Perthshire/Lanarkshire to see if they're interested - since they too might have missed this thread... I'd be up for this if its a good idea.[/QUOTE]

I thought it 'd be better to wait until we've found out whether or not the site is suitable, I just don't know yet. I'll post as soon as we have a decision either way.

I shouldn't think there'd be a problem getting you there if it works out, there's bound to be someone coming through from your side of the country.

If it falls through, I know of another site in S. Lanarkshire but it's not easily accessible for a lot of people. Any other, more central, ideas gratefully rec'd :D

Cheers,Toddy

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
BCUK Scotland Meet - Reconnaissance

Narrative:

On the 21st of July Toddy, Doc and Sandbender recce’d the proposed venue for the BCUK Scotland Meet at the Crannog Center Loch Tay. According to Toddy the folks at the Center are very keen to have ‘bushcrafty’ type people making use of their site and certainly everyone was very friendly. Toddy managed to tag us onto an entertaining tour of the Crannog, which amongst other things had fourteen tourists watching a chap make fire with a bow drill, they were absolutely fascinated by the process, you could have heard a pin drop! once the flame caught the ‘guide’ was awarded a rousing round of applause. The locations were then inspected and we concluded the day with Toddy providing tea and coffee and the three of us having a mini show and tell in the car park, Toddy introducing us to her miracle flax based fire starting material. :)

Two areas are available, if you refer to the map provided at the link below, the first sits along the shore to the right of the Crannog Center and Water Sports Center. The second sits across the water and follows the shore to the left of the picnic site (Dalerb plantation).

Conditions and suitability:

Both areas are adjacent to roads,
Both areas are very rocky underfoot, hammocks and thick mats will be required.
Plenty of trees for hammock use, however the ground wasn't so level for those sleeping on the ground under a hootchie
The site across the water is open to the general public.
Fire starting would be permitted at both sites however only the site next to the Crannog provided worthwhile quantities of fuel.
The use of canoes and fishing may be possible from the Crannog site.
The option exists for people to slip off from the second site into to the Dalerb plantation for a quieter nights sleep.
The midges will be out in force at either location.
Neither site will support more than twenty (ish) people.

Logistics:

24H Car parking is available next to the Crannog Center in the Hotel/Water Sports Center. Daytime parking (you can leave car overnight but the gate is locked) is available across the water.

24H Toilet facilities and water are available across the water however at this time these would only be available during the day at the Crannog Center.

Conclusion:

Neither site is ideal, however its a pretty part of Scotland with much to keep people occupied. Toddy’s suggestion is that a larger overnight recce (a kind of mini-meet) takes place at some point in the near future, where more heads can think about the opportunities provided by this location.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
That sounds good to me.

Any chance of scrounging one of those Midgie Suckers for the weekend???. :)

May be interested in the Mini Meet too depending when it is on.

A Friend has told me I can borrow his Canoe whenever I want to so that makes it a lot more interesting. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE