Scabbard for Bronze age Sword

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Just finished a job for a friend of a friend who went on a course where he cast a bronze age sword. He wanted a scabbard for it. I used 2.5mm veg tan for the back and front and some 5mm stuff to make the welt:

He wanted a plain front:
Scabbard-front_zpsbc4e8dbd.jpg

I added a couple of D rings to the back so he had the option of adding a strap to wear it on his back:
Scabbard-back_zps713bd581.jpg

First time making a scabbard and I'm told he went on the course with three mates so maybe some more work in the offing.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Very nicely done; plain leather suits the bronze sword really well, and you've got the colour spot on :)

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Ooooh, nice timing :D

I am booked to go on the Will Lord bronze casting course in May. I just got the confirmation paperwork the other day. I am *really* looking forward to it. I may 'borrow' your design to make my own scabbard, and also make a wooden one as well!

Cheers, Bob

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Ooooh, nice timing :D

I am booked to go on the Will Lord bronze casting course in May. I just got the confirmation paperwork the other day. I am *really* looking forward to it. I may 'borrow' your design to make my own scabbard, and also make a wooden one as well!

Cheers, Bob

Feel free - and enjoy the course!

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
From what I have read so far, it seems that the bronze sword is a bit wibbly when it is first made. Some makers/experts flex the blade back and forth a little over its length to stiffen it, as bronze work hardens. Then the edges are hammered in, and sharpened with a stone. Since mine (when I make it) will hardly likely be a user, I will concentrate on making it as lovely as I can, rather than proper hair-popping sharp. I will report back in due course :)

Kerne, as before, nice work and thanks.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Excaliber!
The sword cast in a stone mould ... the Sword in the Stone ... taken from the stone by the man with the skill, ability and guile to Rule All Britain!
Certainly with the skill etc to impress me!
A very good sheath as well .. Merlin?

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Never seen a new cast bronze sword that was wibbly. They might flex the blade to work harden it so that is less likely to bend when hitting something.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Well, i was paraphrasing. Neil Burridge, the world renowned bronze caster whose work i was referring to wrote (about finishing a bronze sword):

Also at this point I will work-harden the blade to stiffen it up by gently bending it back and forth. This has the effect of cold working the bronze which makes it more rigid. I am convinced this was done in the past to get a more usable and less bendy sword.

So i used the word wibbly instead of bendy. Anyway, lets see yours, I am interested in the design of your scabbard too.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Agree on the bendy, they don't wobble when you shake them which is how I interpreted wibbly. Seen Neil doing the flexing and the sharpening but you will have to ask him his method.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE