San Bushmen Medicinal Tattoo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Just thought some of you might be interested to see the process of medicinal tattooing by the Ju/'Hoansi San in Namibia.
Video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msUlKpxiWDo

The process involves cutting a series of incisions into the skin with an arrowhead, rubbing in the crushed root of whichever plant is used to treat the ailment and then rubbing in the burnt and powdered remains of another root, which results in permanent black scarring to the skin. Almost every adult in the community bears the scars of this type of treatment and I found it totally fascinating! :D

More information on the specific plants used to treat each ailment can be found in the book 'Gemsbok Bean and Kalahari Truffle' by Arno Leffers (ISBN 978-99916-0-491-6).

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset
Very cool video Rhoda, I could listen to the San language all day. What did you have it done for? Were you unwell on the trip?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fascinating Rhoda :D

From my point of view it makes the tattooing that is found on many European bog bodies more understandable. Like the marks, not designs, but little straight lines, found on Oetzi and others.

Did it heal well ?

atb,
M

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Toddy
You echo my thoughts. As soon as I read the description (and before looking at the video) I was struck by the Oetzi scars, which I had never thought were entirely decorative.
I didn't realise Bog bodies display same/similar markings.
Alan

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Very cool video Rhoda, I could listen to the San language all day. What did you have it done for? Were you unwell on the trip?

No it was for an ongoing thing I get. Whenever I get stressed I end up with acid indigestion/stomach pain the next day. I mentioned it to the medicine men in the village and they offered the treatment... I was hardly going to say no!!

It was only done approx 3 weeks ago. It healed super fast... too fast in fact, the black ash did not take and I now only have some very faint scars. I will get a top-up when we go next year.

For me it was just wonderful to be given the opportunity to be healed in the traditional way and I must say no stomach pains since... and there have been some stressful moments this week!! :D

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Yes I think I am... by then I don't think there will be anything to show for it though! The root he used was obviously also great for healing cuts... it did smell exactly like germoline!
Good job we got it on video or no-one would have believed me :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE