salted fish question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I noticed that tesco sell salted dried fish, this was not refrigerated just in a vacume pack!

what is it used for?

can it be eaten as is?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I noticed that tesco sell salted dried fish, this was not refrigerated just in a vacume pack!

what is it used for?

can it be eaten as is?
Eating and lots of things.

Soak it in water for 12 hours (changing the water a couple of times)
put in a pan of boiling water then simmer gently in water and milk for 5 to 10 minutes. serve with salad and a couple of wedges of lemon,
or grate on some aldi Parmigiano and pepper and grill for a few minutes.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Stock fish!?
Used for resoling boots.
Not edible in any way shape or form.
Now I will be getting the nightmares again....

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Soak it for 6-8 hrs and then treat as fresh fish.Very salty unless soaked first.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I'm sure I've seen a Rick Stein programme where they were doing this with pilchards.

When living in Australia we bought a big batch of pilchards and salted them to use as a preserved fishing bait. They kept perfectly well in a (very) hot shed.
We kept a weighted board on them and drained off any of the excess fluids.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nah, this is salted not just dried.

I quite like stockfish but I haven't tried the salted stuff.

Not the stock fish?
Thats OK then......
Memories of Ghanaian markets then...:eek: ...the nightmares.... flies, "dried" fish rotting in piles (and being eaten - flies et al).....
NURSE!

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Not the stock fish?
Thats OK then......
Memories of Ghanaian markets then...:eek: ...the nightmares.... flies, "dried" fish rotting in piles (and being eaten - flies et al).....
NURSE!

Ahhhh, so you'd be off Thai salted fish as well then. Hung up outside, salt, flies, smell....... you get the picture.

Tastes great!

Huon

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I ate the fried cockroaches instead - Thai market food rocks!...except the fish....

The salty fish was usually hanging on my mother-in-law's porch under the mango tree so not exactly market food for me. The markets are great but those I saw most of were in a town famed for its seafood so no avoiding the fish. Not that I'd want to.

I guess you'd prefer the food of Northern Thailand where they are more meat-centric.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
The salt, dried variant is called "Klippfisk" up here. It was earlier dried lying on cliffs by the sea, hence the name "cliff fish".
Norway export large quantities of this fish to Brasil and Portugal. It is used in Bacalao dishes.
And you as Tadpole says you soak it in water to remove the salt. Then you grill or cook it.
Ordinary stock fish could also be soaked, but for much longer, and used in the same way.
But it is often eaten as a snack. Hammer the fish with an axe to break it up, and eat the smaller pieces. Beware of the stock fish breath you will get though.
Enjoy:lmao: .

Tor

Mar 31, 2011
Chester
Salt Cod was known as “Cape Cod turkey” round the Birkenhead area, I also seem to remember having it cooked with butter beans. Can't say that it's one of those comfort foods from my youth though.

NURSE!

However the memory of dried fish and kenke from the UE region of Ghana washed down with a calabash, or three, of pito has me all a salivating.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Back in the day, before the damn nannies banned it, I was partial to a bit of Bombay Duck.
t2801.gif

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
if it is what we call klippfisk, then it is one of the best edible known to man.

water the fish out for a day.
boil for about 10min.
serve it with potato, carrots, fried bacon(with the frying fat of course) and white sauce. and maybe a little glass of aquavit too.

you really should try it.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Soaking is fairly vital, otherwise a very small cube as a snack can be nice - but extremely salty.

Anybody got a source of Bombay Duck out there ? I really miss it.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
If I remember correctly, the author Tristan Jones used it extensively in his sailing career, mainly in a dish he called Burgoo.......

Just checked out the web - there's a website dedicated to the guy - http://tristanjones.org/ I read his books decades ago - tremendous read!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE