said good bye to my best mate yesterday

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
yesterday and today have been the hardest days of my life my whippet arthur was put to sleep after having him since he was 8 weeks old he would have been 11 in 6 weeks time.he was struggling to get up and move and had lost his spark he was also on heart meds so we decided instead of waiting for tests it was better to let him go with dignity.ive never cried so much in my life and even the vet was crying. the house seems so empty and having him come running down the stairs to see us.the hardest thing was thinking we did it too early but the vet phoned to say the results came back he had cancer so it was for the best.i really dont know why ive put this on here but thought people on here would understand better than anyone.will i ever get another dog after the grief im feeling i dont think i could go through it again but they say time is a great healer :(

5c28024c-946f-a0f5.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I feel for you, I really do. Losing a dog is one of the hardest things ever. I've lost two in my time now and it always hurts. But yes time will heal, remember all the good times you had together. And when your ready you may well want to start again, the relationship between man and dog is one of the strongest of all I feel.

Take care and hope you heal soon.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
oh mate, my heart goes out to you. I really can feel your pain.

This might help...........

Grieve not
Nor speak of me with tears,
but laugh and talk of me
as if i were beside you
I loved you so
'twas heaven here with you.

Robbi

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Definately know how you feel.after our lab was put down even 6 months after I'd still call his name when I came home.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
So, So sorry to hear the sad news.:(
There will be untold amount's of people here who have been where you are right now, Myself being one of them!
I cried and had nightmares for a long time!
But time really is a good healer, honestly!!!
Took me 10 years before i got another dog, now i wish i had done it earlier!!!
I'm sure you will, when you are ready!
Take care

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Thank you for posting that.

Whenever I read something like this it moves me to tears. Your loss is my loss too, especially such a lovely creature as Arthur. He reminds me a little of one of mine, Bosco, who's sitting outside just now. He was about 18 months when we rescued him and he's been with us five years, so with luck his time is some way off.

But even though the time will come, and of course it will hurt, I doubt if our next trip to Babbington will be more than a couple of weeks after that. In fact the wife checks their Website almost daily, hoping all the time that she'll be able to persuade me to get another couple.

Don't tell her, but she wouldn't have to try very much harder. :)

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
You have my sincerest empathy brother of the woods...
Heal swift and as gently as your whippets gait....
Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
So sorry to hear that, my thoughts are with you and yours.

I've been there a few times and all the happy memories far outweigh the heartache. Time is a great healer but for now just remember all the happy times and smile.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
cheers lads i cant say anymore cause its making me cry again every time i read the replys.i love the poems

thanks andy

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Sincere and heartfelt condolences.

It is approaching 1 year since i lost my beloved Lurcher and best pal Oz and not a day has passed that i haven't thought of him, the following passage, although sad was a great comfort to me 1 year ago, as i don't think you will find a better summary of the special relationship and love that we share with our dogs:-

"The best friend that a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son and daughter that he has reared with loving care may become ungrateful.
Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him when he may need it most. Man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees and do us honour when success is with us, may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles it's cloud upon our head. The only absolutely unselfish friend a man may have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog.

A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and poverty, in health and sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, when the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he can be near his Master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounter with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of a pauper as if he were a Prince. When all other friends desert.......he remains.

When riches take wings and reputations fall to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in it's journey through the Heavens. If fortune drives the Master forth an outcast into the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard him against danger, to fight his enemies, and when the last scene of all comes, and death takes his Master in it's embrace and his body is laid away into the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside the noble dog will be found, his head between his paws and his eyes sad, but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death"

Alexander Graham Vest

Last edited:

bohXI

Jul 16, 2012
Kettering
So sorry to hear - my heart goes out to you.

As has been said, time will heal. You never forget but it gets easier to remember.

3 Years on and for a moment I still expect to see my Old English, Axo, when I go in the front door of my dads house..... :

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Ah, man that's a tough step to have to take. But you know that its one of the prices of the loyalty and affection that they give you, that you make the hard choice when they are suffering.

I only saw my dad cry twice. Once when he had to put down his old border collie and once when a beloved stallion broke its jaw and had to be put down.

They may 'only' be animals, but still have a firm place in our hearts.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Sorry to hear that but think of all the good times and you did the right thing. Had to do it with my Border Collie Sam and its really hard.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE