Safety with sharps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Well. Yesterday I did a very stupid thing. I was using chisels and gouges on my kuksa but couldn't find a mallet or hammer, so I decided to use the back of my axe. A shaving sharp axe.
I know it was a stupid thing to do, but still went ahead anyway.
I had been merrily chipping away, I then put down the axe to talk to our son, picked the axe back up, and proceeded to chip away, in a moment of stupidity I had the axe the other way round.
The blade deflected off the back of my chisel and found itself next to my thumb bone.
I've just returned from hospital after having my tendon repaired and stitches. (The surgeon agreed with me that I'd made a beautiful text book incision):D

I'm now out of action with my tinkering for a couple of weeks, but will be back tinkering again as soon as I can.

The moral of this post is to use the right tools for the job in hand. Just be extra careful and please respect your sharp tools.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
That one will be the kuksa with the really unusual colouring then?
I guess at least with our silly-sharp axes one does make a nice neat incision for the surgeons to suture.
A good job that you were just tapping and not trying harder : you could easily take a finger off with a
sharp axe when you see how easily they go through small branches.Glad you are fettled and I may use your story
in my next axe & knife safety session with the Scouts.
Cheers , Simon

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Please feel free to use the story, explaining how an idiot nearly lost his thumb. I still say blunt tools are far more dangerous.

Haha the first thing I did was make sure the axe was OK.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
TWO weeks of tinkering.... Noooo
Glad tha med mi stove when yer did :D
95feb694-57e2-e3cf.jpg

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
2 weeks of boredom. Think I'll be going over first aid and safety, and teaching swmbo how to make pastry :D

Glad I did too chiseller, you wouldn't have been able to burn a crater in your stump if not. :D

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Just come back from having a lightweight splint put on. Apparently I'd managed to cut into my tendon so no heavy lifting for 12 weeks.

Here's a couple of pictures. Sorry no gory ones, just post op and in splint.

56b91678-383b-edad.jpg

56b91678-385d-f6c7.jpg

56b91678-386b-d20d.jpg

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
owww bugger, hope you heal soon......reminds me of a few months ago then i used the back of my axe to smack in a stake when i was hedgelaying and was leaning a lttle too fare over and cutt my ear lobe in two.....very easy to have thes silly mistake when we all put are brains into nautral !!!

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There's nothing like a bit of self harm to lighten the mood of everyone else's day. :D

I've not done myself any serious damage with an axe, yet, but for some reason my wife won't let me buy a chainsaw...

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
lmao Harvestman (touch wood ;) that i never have a chain saw accident. i've seen plenty and have delt with a few and the worst thing again they could have all been provented !!! the silky saw we arbourist use are the ones that account for the most accidents !!! i've cut myself so often that in my first aid kit i carry super glue and just glue the cut and carry one.... you've got to love the "friday cut" lol

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ah well, if we are talking saw-inflicted injuries, then I have a lovely thumb scar from trying to extract a sapling from a national nature reserve rather quickly before the warden found me :rolleyes:

The one-handed drive through the Brecon Beacons back lanes to A&E was... shall we say... interesting.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Oh yes. During to casualty was interesting. Thumb wrapped in paper towel, then finished with a little duck tape. Scariest part was setting fire to the makeshift bandage while trying to light a fag. :confused:

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Stitches out tomorrow (one already "fell" out) hopefully get this restrictive brace off too. Woohoo.
12 weeks before any heavy lifting but they said nothing about tinkering or the like. So hopefully back to normallity too.
I'll be able to try out my new mallet too. :D

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Sutures removed yesterday. Wound healing nicely. Had a chat with the surgeon who did the op. Turns out that I was fortunate that the axe was so sharp, in that the tendon was cut surgically clean. If the axe was blunt it would have caused serious soft tissue damage and possibly crushed the tendon.
I've been given exercises to do, and already have about 90% mobility in the thumb so should be spot on when fully healed. :thumbup: (haha)
Anyway, I should be able to drive next week, and back to tinkering. No heavy lifting or practising magic for 6 weeks :(
I already have an idea to greatly improve my wood gas stove without using thermoelectric generators, instead using true forced air from a separate source. So roll on next week.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi make sure you adhere to the 12 wk rule otherwise like me you will end up with a pin in your thumb as i did and no fixed in one position and by the way bad luck sorry to hear you did it in the first place heal well regards dave

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
12 weeks seems an awful long time though. I am a close up magician and need to get back earning asap. At the moment swmbo is making and selling beaded bracelets, but that only just about pays the bills.
What happened to you, and why was a pin inserted if you don't mind me asking.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Hope it heals ok mate. the first thing i do with a new axe is make the sheath,mask agood fit with the strap around the shaft so when using it as a hammer the mask can stay on. Abit late for that of course ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE