Sad but so pretty - Woodowl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
On my quick forest-hike last Saturday, I encountered a creature that I have been frantically looking for. I always admired these silent hunters. We knew from their sound that there was at least one of these pretty birds around and my girlfriend even spotted it on one evening. I sure hope that this is not that exemplar.

dead_woodowl.jpg

I plan to fetch it and will bury it in my garden to get the bones and skull defleshed. Should make a nice skeleton project.

-Emile

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i think your ok to keep it unless it has a ring on it, in which case you need to report it but dont quote me on that. it certainly is a pretty thing.. was there no sign of cause of death.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
No, it did not have a ring on it. I reported it to the local "dead bird inventory project" here in The Netherlands (SOVON). I actually found this one in a patch of forest quite near a road with car traffic. So my guess is that it just got hit by a car. I"ll check the carcass for starvation marks.

It may not be completely legal to harvest, but I think that by burying it in the patch of forest in my backyard (essentially moving it from one patch or forest to another) and digging up some remains afterwards is not something that would get me in trouble. If I do not salvage it, it will rot away and no one will learn anything from it..

-Emile

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
wolf said:
and the feathers are great for arrows as they fly silently. ;)

they fly silently on the owl but unfortunatly not on arrows. I know somone who, using the same flawed logic fletched some arrows with owl feathers only to find that in practice they made a loud fluttering noise all the way to the target.

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Reading the paper yesterday there was a report of a female Eagle owl having been shot in the u.k.

Can't understand why someone would want to kill such a beautiful creature. The pair were supposed to have been located in a secret location, but a recent tv program featuring them must have raised the profile.

Real pity

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
a lot of people dont like the fact that the Eagle owl is here as in holand they have been eating other birds of pray which we are pretty short of over here..

personaly i cant wait to see my first wild eagle owl in the uk :)

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
That is a real shame, but then that's what happens in nature.

If you plan on making use of the carcass, I would recommend you approach it scientifically in case you discover it's been poisoned or other fowl play ( sorry, couldn't resist)

You might get an idea of what killed it if you remove the feathers first, as you will see skin damage or discolouration. Check the stomach/gizzard contents too. Once you have the skeleton you will also see any broken bones. Perhaps you can find a local vet or college Biology department to assist you?

Regards,
Neil

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Topcat02 said:
Reading the paper yesterday there was a report of a female Eagle owl having been shot in the u.k.

Can't understand why someone would want to kill such a beautiful creature. The pair were supposed to have been located in a secret location, but a recent tv program featuring them must have raised the profile.

Real pity
Sadly Eagle Owls are not protected in the UK as the RSPB does not consider them a native species

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE