rustic viking belt for myself

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hey all. currently working on a batch of goodies to sell on here but its pretty constant stitching at the moment so needed a break.

Have needed a new belt for ages now, so decided to make myself one yesterday. I had a batch of buckles hand forged by Everything Mac of this parish so used one of those which really sets off the belt. I went for copper rivets for an old look (my copper rivet style currently being limited to the bashed-to-hell look) I used 4mm butt cowhide as it is so rustic with a lovely feel but sadly is not good for tooling as the grain is very spongey and doesnt compress properly.

in this belt i tooled a valknut for the tip and stamped some runes in. five minutes after taking the photograph i cut it up and binned the carved parts and kept the rest for another project in the future. i just didnt like it

so today i made myself a new belt. 2cm wide. I used the same buckle, some copper rivets to hold it. fancy viking belts usually have a nice brass or silver tip with knotwork on it. As im not one for fancy things, i just bashed in three copper rivets to weight it down. finished off with a light crease around the edges. hope you like it as much as i do, this one im chuffed with nice and simple

Todays new belt

jx69.jpg

yesterdays belt, now scrap.

ino9.jpg

thanks for looking. now to get back to stitching

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice Hamish,

Like the simplicity of it, the wee copper rivets remind me of shields with centre bosses all in a row like on the side of a Viking ship. It'll keep yer trews where they should be.

Have a good weekend,

Colin.

Dreadhead

Nice Hamish,

Like the simplicity of it, the wee copper rivets remind me of shields with centre bosses all in a row like on the side of a Viking ship. It'll keep yer trews where they should be.

Have a good weekend,

Colin.

my thoughts exactly mate ;) I usually wear a simple pair of linen trews with a leather draw cord, but wear a belt with my tunic or wear a belt over my shoulder with sporran and canteen when im out walking so this will do both nicely

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
That's nice Hamish....making me think that I might be needing a replacement for my well worn belt of 20yrs :)

Dreadhead

That's nice Hamish....making me think that I might be needing a replacement for my well worn belt of 20yrs :)

thanks my door is always open :)

Hamish, are you bringing any trades/sales down to NW next weekend ?

Rev G

Hey Graham, there may be a few bits and pieces ;)

Really liking the buckle. Will we see any of the buckles for sale?

Was thinking of a belt for myself but was stuck when looking for a buckle.

These buckles are for my own use/work. They were made by Everything Mac im sure he would make some more if you asked ;)

Great job as usual Hamish, how are you getting on using copper rivets? pluses / minuses?

good and bad.

plus:
they are super strong
they look nice and rustic especially for stuff like this

cons:
i end up bashing them to bits
because i dont have decent side clippers i have to pre-cut them to length which is a pain to get right. then i end up filing them down to the right size
ends up taking me 20 minutes to set each one

all in all i will keep using them for strength where needed, but on projects that requite a neater look will use rapid rivets or just stitching

Very nice work. The buckle sort of reminds me of your logo:)

Excelent job, did you take pics of the other one?

Thanks. pictures of both belts are in the original post.

I love the Valknot detail.

thanks i love carving valknuts but it just didnt feel right for this

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE