rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
hi all i was just wondering what rucksacks you use when your just out in the woods for the day or a few hours even, i seem to spend all my time moving my kit between my karrimor sabre hydro 30 my plce side pockets and yoke set up and my 58 pattern field pack which is this weeks favorite.
does any body else do the same?

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Kiafru Express with many pouches for most

Kifaru Late Season for overnighters

Macpac Glissade for bigger stays out

Fjallraven small pack for woodland walks on my tod and a Berghaus didy thing for hill days..

Phew.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Three options, which one I use is determined by the phase of the moon, what stars are in accending and occationally even the actual need.

First: a small shoulder bag, made from the butt-bag and belt of an old Swedish M59 pattern webbing set (the "Indy")

Second: A leather day-pack I made in 1986 to carry textbooks while in college. Probably about 25 L capacity.

Third: the LK35

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I use my home-made rucksack - here - almost exclusively for a day out in the woods. Sadly, it's not light enough for multi-day walks, though I intend to try it with the extra side pockets on an overnighter one day. Neither is it as "good," well finished or functional as many commercially made ones but the fact that I made it myself makes up for all this. I also like the fact that it looks different from the norm. One of my work colleagues saw it and said: "that's seen some days;" when it was only a month old!

B

bushknife

Hi
I'm using a old Swedish army rucksack, canvass, leather and a frame to keep it all away from your back.
Don't feel it.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
A quicksilver 'man-bag'

The type that where all the rage a few years ago with one velcro strap over the shoulder/chest job.

Its old, tatty, needs replacing but fits in ideally for urban woodland walks during a mooch around.

I've yet to find out how a 40ltr camelbak clone will handle all the odd's and sods i've accumulated over the past month, but i'm soon to find out!

TBL.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I've been using a Karrimor Trail 45 more recently, which is possibly as old as I am. I also use a '37 pattern webbing side pack when just out wandering - the strap is marked 1941.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
i am using a norwegian canvas rucksack made by bergens of norway
its about 35 ltr with steel frame leather straps no waste belt but it is a dream to use
i also have the later nylon version in the same style
:)walker

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I use my rugged river canvas & leather pack all the time, it cinch's down to stop stuff moving about, or opens up sooo large plus additional side packets, it has its own weather system, i love it !.

Rob

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
thats a lovely pack you have made there kerne just my sort of thing. im noticing alot of people are choosing traditional canvas packs over modern packs which is the way i am going with my 58 patt field pack

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
I too use the swedish army M-39 canvas backpack for a day out, i find it very comfortable. For overnighters its a PLCE longback or a large Alice pack with frame.
Daz

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Good thread;
Just me, day time; either pockets or 25 litre rucksack,
Family, day time; 45 litre rucksack,
Just me, day and night; 45 litre rucksack, (if cold weather then 80 litre rucksack for extra bedding),
Just me, several days and nights; 80 litre rucksack,
Family, more than day time; car/van/hotel/several sherpas, etc (you get the idea!)

Chris

TROOPER

Aug 17, 2009
essex
for me

Day out bushying,tracking or just walking a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipak EDC. it has room for your kit + a water bottle and is infinatly adaptable.
Weekend: i use a viper 45ltr special ops daysack, with tarp hammock etc in external add on molle pouches. being a molle system pack it alows a lot of adaptabillity with where and how you store and carry, as well as access your kit.
Week : then its an 80ltr pack

but the EDC always goes to.

Troop

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I use an Alpine Lowe Sting which is 45l, and is plenty big by itself for daytrips. I also have a 18l rucksack but it's not so useful when carrying some gear like my hammock due to the shape. The Sting isn't the lightest kit but it's very comfortable and from what I've seen so far tough as nails.

Overnighters I add PLCE pouches which adds another 25l to the setup and lets me isolate my food and cooking gear from my clothing and sleep gear. I generally don't need more that than but I also have a second pair of plce pouches (the ones that came with the rucksack) that I have setup with shoulderstraps which I can use at a pinch if I have extra stuff to carry

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
hi vizsla and hello from Arizona U.S.A ....to answer your question yes i do use the p-58 pack as a ruck, by cutting off the straps with the hooks that conect to the D-rings of the harness yoke and replace them with U.S. Alice pack straps....works wounders for the lowly p-58 pack....vince g. 11B Inf...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE