rucksack volume advice required

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 2, 2015
United Kingdom
Hi

Will a 38L Osprey Kestrel accommodate the following for a 2-3 day hike N Scotland during Summer;

Vango Venom 200 down bag
Zephyros 1 tent
Optimus Crux lite cookset
standard self inflating mat
light buffalo thermal layer
3-5l water
food for 2days
waterproofs

I'm only accustomed to hikes with 120L packs & webbing so I'm clueless as to what size I will need when shedding the weight. 48L is the max I'm willing to stretch to but preferably the 38L Kestrel if possible. Also first time using a tent and it hasn't yet arrived

Advice?Ta

verney

Aug 6, 2014
Finland
Difficult question to answer, but take your gear to a local shop and ask if you can test pack your gear into that backpack. If it fits buy it.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I used a 30 litre pack for years for this sort of trip, but it was never quite big enough and I used a supplementary bag, of strapped tent and sleeping pad to the outside. I up-sized to a 45 litre pack which was heavier but far more comfortable and I revel in the flexibility the larger size gives. There is an excellent sticky on the Camp and Carry section on this and Paul Kirtley has a comprehensive piece on his blog that is well worth a look.

Had you thought of buying a few plastic rubbish bags of different sizes and seeing which your kit fits? It may be worth bearing in mind that the shape of the pack needs to be taken into account as well as the volume. Like Verney says, good shops will let you try your kit, but you need to know roughly what volume you want. Correct fit is also vital: think back length for example.

Getting the right pack is not easy, but a lot of time and money can be wasted getting it wrong, so you are wise to be seeking advice. There is plenty out there and it is well worth the time spend on reading up on it.

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
just a thought throw all your gear into a large kitchen bin, mark how far it fills it. Then just fill with measured water to find out how many liters you need :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE