Rose Bay Willow Herb.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rivermom

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2008
Sligo, Ireland
Does anybody know of any uses for this plant. It keeps showing up in my garden. I usually just pull it up and compost it. But surely with such a pretentious name, it must be good for something.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I think I remember Mr Mears using it to thicken stews etc. Could be wrong but sure someone will come along soon with a correct answer. Had a few wee glenmorangies this evening so the memory might not be 100% lol. I think he used it on the one where he was cooking trout and something else in the billy can and needed something to thicken it up a bit???

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The pith can taste sweet, or it can taste alumium foil, i think their must be subspecies of it because the flavour is very variable. You can make cordage with the bits of stem that aren't used. The flower head fluff is nice, it twists up to really silky thread. The leaves can be eaten but they taste funny and stain the wee a funny colour.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
The fluffy seeds make an excellent fine nest material for the centre of a tinder bundle, of grasses, into which you can place an ember created by friction, fungi or charcloth.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Green wee!!

Excellent!!

Next time the Doctor asks for the obligatory sample i'll see if i can give him a shock.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE