roll up berry picker.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
After spending quite some time picking berries on holiday in Norway last year, enjoyable as it is I diecided I needed a more efficient method. I've seen various berry pickers including the one in the DIY articles.........but I wanted something with less bulk and if possible a second use........

So I over the winter decided to make a roll up picker, which as it would also lay flat, could be used as a pot stand or the likes.......

I found some wooden BBQ skewers in the kitchen cupboard.....as you do when rumaging and simply sewed then together at the bottom, middle and towards the top, with some odments of cotton, but ensuring I left a gap between each skewer. I then cut back every other skewer by about 2.5 inches across the middle section and trimmed the end sections back at an angle.

Laid flat it can be used as a pot mat to prevent scorching a surface etc, or it can be rolled up and possibly tucked into a handy size container for storage.

To use for its primary use it requires a cup/mug/tin. Simply wrap the picker around the cup and hold it all in one hand (as one would normally hold a picker) it fills the cup as it picks......well that's the theory, because as yet I've not had the chance to use it........but it was extremely theraputic to make and there are probably endless materials and variations that could be used should you wish to have a go at making one.

Probably an easyish project for kids to as long as they are carefull at the pointy ends.

Smoggy.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I like the idea but for the really lazy you could just go out and by a Chinese/Japanese bamboo rolling mat and do the same :D

I do this. I remove every other stick at one end though or the gaps between are too small to accommodate the twigs/branches/leaves.

Good thinking though Smoggy, its what bushcraft is all about. Improvisation.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
I'll try and get some taken when I get a chance to use it, as I've not yet been able to test it! and then I'll have to find out how to load them onto the forum...

You could probably make similar from hwat ever materials you come across, its the roll up aspect so it takes virtually no storage space that is the main feature I was after....

Smoggy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE