rocket stove for outside cooking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kombi

Apr 19, 2010
London
Birthday coming. Does any body know about rockets stoves I can buy. I love cooking outside in the garden - use the kelly kettle all the time.

Theres not much choice and it boils down to a DK which is a bit raw, or rocket cookstoves for sale abroad only, like the Ecozoom types or Stovetec.

Barbecues are great but high maintenance.
I like the idea of clearing the garden of twigs whilst cooking my dinner.............suburbanite bothy style!

Anybody used any good rocket stoves?????

Cheers
Kombi

kombi

Apr 19, 2010
London
That does appear to be good value.....like a cheaper version of the frontier burner and less steampunk than the dk! I cant tell if it can be folded away?

Ive thought about this kind of thing.
Problem id have is that mrs kombi wouldnt take kindly to me erecting such a butch shrine in her garden! Also too hot surfce with the kids about, and its basically too big and id need too much fuel.

That would heat my house in winter!

Im after something smaller. Portable like kelly kettle. And efficient for burning my twigs. Also a bit nicer looking.......like the rocket stove in the wildstoves site. Which they dont seem to sell?
Best
Kombi

mountaingoat1

Jul 19, 2013
UK
Kombi - Ever thought of building your own rocket stove? Lot's of literature online to make these using different types of materials. The insulation factor seems important after doing some reading about the brands you mentioned, interesting stuff.

The Wild Stove looks like a good option but pretty small for cooking dinner...

kombi

Apr 19, 2010
London
Hi Mountain Goat
I did try making one last year, with hilarious, asphyxiating consequences. Now it gets used to lock bikes to. There a great site at
donkey32.proboards.com for ( 'the more competent' ) experimenters.

Im looking at this Ecozoom one on amazon uk, reviews look good, size good, price OK. Should be able to put kelly kettle over for rocket kettle. Buckets of tea. Maybe boil up my pears for next years pear wine.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EcoZoom-Ver...&qid=1379746756&sr=8-13&keywords=rocket+stove

Birthday in two weeks. Just have to subtly advise missus:togo:.......any suggestions??
Cheers
Kombi

kombi

Apr 19, 2010
London
Whoo hooo
Birthday yesterday and I am now the happy owner of a EcoZoom Versa cookstove.
I had emailed this review

http://www.****preparedness.com/ecozoom-versa-stove-review/#.Ulv9cVMmVSo
to my missus since I knew the US paranoid survivalist bit would make her laugh,.........but it contained a big hint!

I knew I was getting something as I recieved a cardboard box UPS last Friday. Been using it last night and just now to cook dinner, and this morning for a fry up as it was day off. Its really good, I axed up a massive pile of basically kindling sticks and barely burnt any, but it kept a steady heat with loads of control.

Its not too big, and its going in the car boot for when i go mountain biking next weekend at Penmachno community bike trails. We'll be bivvying out and im going to say to the lads, lets not use gas or meths at all for this one (maybe just 12 yr malt). Ill keep you posted, beacause it might not handle wet Wales, sometimes I cant.

Chuffed
Kombi

Last edited:

kombi

Apr 19, 2010
London
Last week I was able to use my Global Sun Oven, probably for the last time this year, got temperatures of 128 dgs C. If you can get one of these theyre great, but still havent met any body in the UK with one.

Now ive got a decent rocket stove (ive been using my Ecozoom stove for a week, its the b0llocks), this can be my winter off grid alternative.......cooked curry in the rain yesterday, with an umberella (over me.....the Versa stove had a heavy pot of jalfreezi over it).

Any question son either of these pelase ask away, but im not 100% experienced on the rocket stove yet, but I ve had the sun oven for nearly 7 years........loads of free Kw of heat.
:approve: smuggg

Kombi

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE