Boiling water for a large group - DK Rocket Stove?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello,

I'm part of a conservation group in Cardiff and we're looking around for a way of boiling water in the field using wood.

We've tried kelly kettles but they are too small for large groups. We bought the Triple S from Eyedon. The build quality was awful, it dented easily, rusted and after 3 years of regular use, smoke started mixing with the water making the tea taste of TCP.

I got some quotes from some metal work shops to create a custom storm kettle. It needs to be solid and have a large capacity. One place quoted £200, one place quoted £600 and the third place laughed and said go away.

We did enjoy the kelly kettle and we were going to go with the £200 model.

Then I happened upon the DK rocket stove.
http://www.rocketstoves.co.uk/

Has anyone had an experience of this stove or could recommend a kelly kettle that is large and stronger than a used can of lager?

Cheers,

Ian

Enough hot water for about 12 to 16 mugs of tea.
4 litres would probably be enough plus some extra for washing out.

Currently we've got an ancient Bunsen burner welded to a pot stand which is connected to a butane canister.
Whilst that works fine it is deafening to be near. It also struggles in the cold and the wind and you've got a carry a heavy gas bottle around with you.

The delicate crackle of a small fire from the storm kettle was much preferred by the group.

I was thinking that the DK rocket stove with a kettle on top might be a good option.

Our solution needs to be rugged, simple to use, safe, fast to boil and easily carried over short distances.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Is there a reason you want a single unit to boil 4 litres? I only ask as with one of our groups we have 3 ghillie kettles (1.5l each) and if only a few people turn up we can just take the one.

I've never used the DK rocket so i can't comment on that ... sorry :(

Ed

Is there a reason you want a single unit to boil 4 litres? I only ask as with one of our groups we have 3 ghillie kettles (1.5l each) and if only a few people turn up we can just take the one.

I've never used the DK rocket so i can't comment on that ... sorry :(

Ed

4 Litres was a rough guess. 4000ml / 16 thirsty volunteers = 250ml each.
We did borrow some small storm kettles to try that but to be honest, we found it a bit of a faff when there was 10 people or more. (And there often are.)
Keeping multiple little fires going is fiddly. Also, the little storm kettles are top heavy and were prone to falling over.

The triple S was great because you light one fire, dump a load of wood in and woof; a roaring fire followed by hot water in a container that never fell over in the wind.

I wonder if the dog food water heater went up with a woof :lmao:

http://www.bisonbushcraft.co.uk/outdoor_cooking.htm
10 pint capacity, good price too
no connection etc etc

That's the triple S storm kettle.
Like I said, we have one of them already. The build quality is awful and now leaks after 3 years of constant use.
To be fair, when I contacted the manufacturer the said they would sell us a new one at 25% discount. However, I'd rather spend the money and get something that will last years of abuse. The steel on the on the Triple S is thinner than a baked bean can. You could crush it with your bear hands easily.

So far the only things I've seen look like they are up to the job is the DK rocket stove and that Thermette thingy from New Zealand. (Surely it would be expensive to get something like that imported from New Zealand.....?)

I've also found this stove:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOAT-CAMPING-TENT-CARAVAN-TEA-KETTLE-HOT-WATER-HEATER-WOOD-STOVE-BBQ-/120888723749?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c25878925
However, that looks to be fiddly with lots of components and looks quite flimsy. I can't imagine that coping well with years of travelling to woodlands in the back of a minibus.

I just phoned the maker of the DK Rocket stove. I asked if it could boil 5 Litres. He told me that he knows a customer who bought one to boil a 40 gallon drum of water for steaming wood to bend it. He reckons it can boil a large pot of water in 15mins and that it's just as quick as gas.
For £60 all in I'm tempted more by this bomb proof looking rocket stove......

Last edited:

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Ok well if that's the case, i'd go with Barethrills suggestion, a large kettle and tripod, works for bushcraft groups and schools all over the country.

Ok well if that's the case, i'd go with Barethrills suggestion, a large kettle and tripod, works for bushcraft groups and schools all over the country.

That wouldn't always be good for us.
The thing is, large open fires are not efficient in terms of wood or time. It's fine when we're coppicing or hedge laying; we generate tonnes of wood then but often we'll be on a mountain side somewhere or a school garden where a wood isn't in abundance or a file isn't practical. Starting an open fire in heavy rain is tough. Starting one in heavy rain using a storm kettle is quite easy. I dare say you could even light one in a storm .....

Sigh.....why couldn't Eyedon just make a decent quality large storm kettle? I phoned Kelly Kettle and asked if they made a larger kettle. They said there was no demand but I really beg to differ.

Juggernaut

May 16, 2013
Scarborough
www.yorkknife.co.uk
I've got a DK Rocket stove, really great fun but I'm not sure how quickly it would boil that amount of water, I have found it easier to feed it with wood from the chimney to really get it flaring up, I find if you loadit cry wood from three from like you're supposed to you end up pushing the tray in to the back of the flue and killing the rocket effect. The tray in my mind would be better with a little spot weld to hold it fast, like I said if you go for one just drop you're wood in from the top, job done.

07A01BB7-D28B-4EB7-9A0C-E02C67D15D79-2045-0000021D6AB6A850_zps4424c1a4.jpg

At cowclose wood a couple of months back.

I have a lot of fun using it....... IT IS VERY HEAVY as well but again well worth the effort and wil last as it's so robust.

Luke

I've got a DK Rocket stove, really great fun but I'm not sure how quickly it would boil that amount of water, I have found it easier to feed it with wood from the chimney to really get it flaring up, I find if you loadit cry wood from three from like you're supposed to you end up pushing the tray in to the back of the flue and killing the rocket effect. The tray in my mind would be better with a little spot weld to hold it fast, like I said if you go for one just drop you're wood in from the top, job done.

I have a lot of fun using it....... IT IS VERY HEAVY as well but again well worth the effort and wil last as it's so robust.

Luke

I find the fact it's heavy reassuring. It certainly looks solid enough from the videos.
We need something that is simple and solid.

Shame that it might not boil a kettle of water quickly.
I don't suppose you could boil a litre and let me know how long it takes? :)

Juggernaut

May 16, 2013
Scarborough
www.yorkknife.co.uk
It would take a good 5 or 6 minutes to boil a litre, I know as that's what we normally boil out camping, there's two of us.

I know what you are saying about liking the weight, as I feel these about it, wouldn't be good for back packing though lol
Luke

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE