Rivedr Cottage Mushroom Handbook

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I have its brilliant. Its got some great recipies and good id on most mushrooms your likely to come across. The Aurther teaches Fungi id with a popular bushcraft company.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve got it and think it`s pretty useful

It explains foraging dos and don`ts, conservation, ID`ing process, spore prints etc, Information on 50 edible and 22 poisonous species. When you get into the species there`s a full page photo for each one along with a couple of pages of info covering. Cap, Stem, Gill, Flesh and Spore data along with Habitat, Frequency and Season info included. He also includes warnings if there are any similarities with poisonous species.

Oh and of course there the HFW recipe pages which I`ve not looked at yet.

Rich

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Mmmmmnnnnnnyyyyeeeeehhhhh...

It's not bad. Problem is that it isn't detailed and comprehensive enough to be a proper field guide, and only really concentrates on a few types. It's a good start but I think you need to twin it with a really good field guide.

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
Mmmmmnnnnnnyyyyeeeeehhhhh...

It's not bad. Problem is that it isn't detailed and comprehensive enough to be a proper field guide, and only really concentrates on a few types. It's a good start but I think you need to twin it with a really good field guide.

But as it's author states - you need more than one book.

I think it's a cracker of a book, one of the best in my opinion.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I think it's one I'd pick up if I found it cheaply somewhere. My OH has just borrowed a copy from our library and I think the writing and information is very good but there's not a very good selection of photos. My main criticism is that I find some of the names on the photos hard to read. If you have a copy of Phillips and want another book it's worth it.

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
It's a great book.
As a beginner it's really helped me to learn more about the fungi 'families' and has helped me to quicken my frantic searches through the other books i use.
You will need books which are more dedicated field guides but this will help to narrow down your search for edible finds.
A must have IMHO and very funny at times too.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Got mine in Sussex Stationers in Bexleyheath of all places! About half price and worth all of it. The recipes are very good!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE