Ridgeline Monsoon Jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I have the Roar which is the Monsoon with a zip and pockets - more of a shooting than a stalking jacket. Haven't had it long but first impressions :
+ves :
+Fantastic price for what you are getting, basically a complete copy of the Swazi equivalent, made to a high standard, neoprene cuffs etc, of similar super tough material. I got the jacket and matching trousers from Tamarack Outdoors for £132 delivered.
+seems waterproof and breathable to me
+fits well, everything in the right place
+I've got it in dark green and it's a nice dark green (not too olive/military)

-ves :
- Hood is not good when not up. Only attached at the very back, which means it flaps around all over the place when down. I have solved this by actually sewing the hood sides in place on the collar. Can't roll the hood anyway any more, but never wanted to anyway as it made the collar too stiff. They should add a couple more press studs on the sides of the collar at the front. I tried a Monsoon as well and the same hood comments apply.
- I have read elsewhere that the seam taping is not that great and comes off. No evidence yet on mine.
- It's not Goretex, but then, its not expensive either. I would never want to ear a gucci goretex version for thrashing through woods etc.

I didn't get the Monsoon because I wanted pockets and the Roar has loads. I just don't get the idea of these smocks without hand warmer pockets, unless worn 100% for stalking I suppose.

Very happy so far

NS

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Interesting pint about the hood Richard, I wonder if a piece of velcro sewn in (like Montane/Buffalo) would work ?

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Yes that's a good idea. Might try that. I really don't see myself ever folding the hood away in the collar. I tried it and it was like wearing a neck brace - quite impossible to do the collar up. I think the Roar would be better with a fully detachable hood.

NS

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
They had a mailing list special on recently, buy jacket get trousers free. Their mailing list often has excellent deals on it

EDIT - gave mine a good work out today rough shooting over a Scottish hill farm, temperature about freezing. I got myself well lathered up slogging uphill with too many layers on. However the jacket breathed well and on inspection at the end of the day was damp inside from condensation rather than streaming. For membrane jackets and high exertion at 0c, that's a good result.
The material is soft and warm and nice to wear on cold days and the pockets work well with cartridges etc. Best of all, I had my best ever day's shooting, so it must be a MAGIC jacket.

NS

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE