Ridgeline Monsoon Jacket Mk II

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I just bought the Mk2 version of Ridgeline's Monsoon smock, which is more or less exactly the same design as the Swazi Tahr. I didn't fancy the Mk1, mainly because of the flappy hood and lack of pockets. However, Ridgeline have made several improvements over the Mk1 - namely a velcro cuff, handwarmer pockets and a far better hood design. The hood is much larger than on the Mk1 and fastens at the front of the jacket with press-studs, thereby not flapping all over the pace when not up.

The drawback vs the Swazi version is that RL Tex is about only half as breathable as Goretex, but it still breathes, is really waterproof, and very tough. Outstanding shooting jacket I reckon

For a bushcraft style smock, for about £125, this now takes some beating, I reckon. They have just hit the shops and are going fast.

monsoonmain_1.jpg

BTW that's not me in the photo.

EDIT - please note I have changed my mind about these garments - see later in the thread

Last edited:

caswcc

May 5, 2010
kent
got mine today.. i had one of the old ones and just couldn't do without the waist pockets.. this new one is a much better fit has the handwarmer pockets and a much better and removable hood... and its a very quite fabric... can't wait for it to chuck it down now so i can try it out.. i got a lot of ridgline gear and its all great quality.. there flood shirt is exellent i wear my two all the time.. i got a guy just round the corner from me that sells there stuff.. got a good deal on the jacket too.. he does lots of bushcraft stuff... will post some pics asap...

Last edited:

ProofNZ

Sep 10, 2011
New Zealand
Have any of you guys found the cuffs still soak up the water? Went out in the rain over the weekend, and ended up with fairly wet forearms.

The jacket soaked up the water and also got the layers underneath wet.

scottcountry

Gold Trader
Sep 10, 2010
Castle Douglas
Hi,

I have a Monsoon II Smock, and have never had the issue of the cuffs soaking up water.

I will say that when it pours down and you are standing around for a while water, given it is subject to gravity like most things, does migrate to the edge of the cuffs on the outer self coloured fabric.

The inner neoprene however keeps you warm and dry and if you have the sleeves adjusted correctly your body should never come into contact with the wet outer fabric.

I have pretty short arms, and quite often adjust the inner quite tight to allow the outer sleeve to hang over my hands a bit when its cold.

Regards

Paul

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Not had chance to use mine in anger yet, but did have it on the other day when a cold wind was blowing, & was realy snug with just a "t" shirt & fleece shirt on underneath.

Rob

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
I used one of these for a days beating last year and it didnt let any water through but i was sweating like a pig on the inside
i didnt find it very breathable at all but it was a very well built and strong coat

ProofNZ

Sep 10, 2011
New Zealand
Strange. I was also wearing leather gloves (not so good for insulation purposes) - so the water may have also been heading up the other way - but my hoodie and long sleeve shirt under the Monsoon were both soaked by the end of the day. Wasn't a major - but was noticeable. The rest of me was fine - it's certainly a 'Hard Shell' - but the cuffs were a bit odd.

The-Bloke-39-of-91.jpg

The-Bloke-68-of-91.jpg

Rain one day, Snow the next.

scottcountry

Gold Trader
Sep 10, 2010
Castle Douglas
Yep its also available in Olive now also.

The garment is warm, no getting away from that, but I still maintain if you wear the right undergarment, wicking t shirt for example, you give the fabric the best chance of breathing with your body.

Ive used mine for mountain biking in really wet weather, and of course its warm, but i wasnt boiling in a bag warm.

On the hill, and walking my dogs its ideal for all but the hottest days, and I wear just a Endura Baa Baa layer below or a bush shirt on colder days.

Ridgeline have also just brought out a mountain shirt, called the Storm Smock, retailing under £60 which is uber breathable, but of course not having a waterproof membrane.

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products-Ridgeline-Storm-Smock-Mountain-Shirt-5205.htm

Stormjacket2s.jpg

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Im wearing mine this weekend which will be its first bushcraft outing. so far its only been dog walking but even in heavy rain its been bomb proof. once the temp gets below 10c it comes into its own and isnt overly hot

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Yep its also available in Olive now also.

The garment is warm, no getting away from that, but I still maintain if you wear the right undergarment, wicking t shirt for example, you give the fabric the best chance of breathing with your body.

Ive used mine for mountain biking in really wet weather, and of course its warm, but i wasnt boiling in a bag warm.

On the hill, and walking my dogs its ideal for all but the hottest days, and I wear just a Endura Baa Baa layer below or a bush shirt on colder days.

Ridgeline have also just brought out a mountain shirt, called the Storm Smock, retailing under £60 which is uber breathable, but of course not having a waterproof membrane.

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products-Ridgeline-Storm-Smock-Mountain-Shirt-5205.htm

Stormjacket2s.jpg

Appologies for the hijack! The Mountain Shirt looks nice- is it comparable with the likes of the Montane Extreme smock etc?

KP

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE