Review - casstrom Leuku & Puukko combination

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Last week I was speaking to a newish supplier of equipment about a combined Leuku and Puukko. I have been intrigued by peoples comments on the versatility of the Leuku and wanted to try one out. However I am a growing fan of the "matched pair" and have wanted to try one of the Leuku / Puukko combo sets. But I wanted a biggish Leuku (8"+) and carbon steel and a Puukko in the same sheath...not too spendy and.....well you know how it goes.

I eventually found one I liked at

www.casstrom.co.uk

de80ae2c6c028b46086c66f97b28e15c.image.535x550.jpg

My only problem was that bit of coloured wood - yuck. So I e-mailed David Backstrom who runs casstrom.

He was very apologetic that he did not have a plain one available in the UK - would I mind if he shipped me one from Sweden (no extra charge). Sure said I.

Having concluded out conversation on Friday - I had the set on Monday first post :eek:

So they turned up - here is the set.

My initial thoughts? Looks much nicer with plain wood than the coloured stuff :)

2872474847_97dba2bb04.jpg

David asked for my feedback on other features (more on this later). My initial thought on the sheath was "I'd lose the reindeer and hoof print stamping - its a bit touristy". I was pleasantly surprised at the weight - very wearable I thought - not a real "trouser dragger". Next of course to get the knives out

2872472139_5c7c722e7a.jpg

Now the set was £75 delivered. So what did I expect? Well not much in fit and finish to be honest. The surprise was pleasant. Lets have a closer look at a handle

2872473503_13ded50fd2.jpg

I was pleasantly surpised at the fit quality - all the elements are beautifully aligned and neat. The curly birch in the ones I was sent is much sperior to the ones in the advert. The antler nicely shaped with I think bark or leather spacers and the hardwood near the pommel nicely arranged to show the grain

The knives are both stick tang with the tang taken through the pommel antler in the stack and then peened over

2873304540_f2fc565f2e.jpg

Criticisims? Well I like a handle smooth - these were slightly rough. Actually thats not a problem that 5 minutes with wire wool couldn't sort on the puukko. I left the Leuku be as I thought the surety of grip would help.

Next I looked at the bevel. These are Scandinavian ground with a small secondary bevel. On a closer look the primary bevel shows clear ridges. Weird but not really a problem. Clearly the bevel is machine ground in some way. I sharpened the puukko in testing and all the ridges disappeared so don't let them stress you if they look as odd to you as they do to me

2872477679_8bf8edfe6c.jpg

I'm not big on secondary bevels on small Scandy knives but others disagree so again - if you don't like the secondary its an easy job to sort.

Having a close look at the sheath shows a fairly simple scandinavian dangler arrangement. Thin leather with a plastic "blade protector" inserted. Not superb but fine for the money. I'd like the sheath to grip a little tighter on the handles (the leuku is loose when the puukko is removed) but its nit picking to be honest

2873307604_f61cbe7f82.jpg

Okay - enough looking - time for a workout. As usual - to get a feel for handling its into the kitchen - there is food to be made

2873308668_dc58660e49.jpg

Now. Here is the rub. At this point the review fell apart. I planned to use the puukko as a paring / utility knife. It worked well. The "forge finish" soon came away in the acid of onions and tomatoes but the knife felt great and handled well. Then I picked up the Leuku. It felt all wrong. I shifted grip. It still felt weird. I stopped and examined the knives. The Leuke handle is 3/8" shorter than the puukko. :confused: . In fact its so short that your index finger is dangerously close to the front of the grip. I tried a variety of holds and its just too short. Slicing or speed chopping is just awkward and uncomfortable. Now I ahve I have "shepherds hands" not "shovel hands" so its not the size of my mitts. I was about to warn everyone in the review and, being fair, I thought to tell David at Casstrom that was what I felt obliged to do.

I received this reply

Sorry to hear this. You have a fair point about the length of the handle. I will talk to the maker about this. They make everything by hand so to change a small detail like this won’t be an issue. I there anything else that you feel could be improved about the design? How did you like the knife beyond this point?

Please do mention in your review that we will work with the maker to get a better designed handle for this knife in the near future. I think it will be good for people to know that we are flexible and easy to work with, wouldn’t you say?

Now actually that means a lot in this day an age - a retailer that listens to their customers. As a result I decided to continue the review.Time to go out to play with some ash, cherry, pine and hazel - notice the colour change on the puukko?

2872466135_bf68251797.jpg

I had to sharpen it to a zero grind though - just to set it up the way I like a small knife

2872466143_b045115f49_o.jpg

How was it? Just as you waould want - sharp, nimble a lovely knife to use

Cetainly no problem with feather sticks!

2872466141_845d7741a8_o.jpg

Okay - conclusion - I like the puukko;)

Time to work out the Leuku. Lets use a two finger chop and sharpen some stakes for shelter building or fire cranes

2872466147_5bfffde431.jpg

That balde chops like a demon! slices of green wood flew off.

Now lets beat the snot out of it. I had some cherry drying for spoons for a couple of years. This bit is full of knots that must be abtoned through to split. A good test I thought.

2872466139_24cdc76742.jpg

I beat the snot out of the spine and pushed the cutting edge through two thick knots. No marks on the spine,no dents or even dinks on the cutting edge. The blade coped beautifully.

So what about the Leuku handle? Well. I should have listened to myself! The constant advice to always carry a FAK with a knife is good. Cherry might not dink the blade - well neither did the bone on my index finger when it slipped off the front of the handle :( . Nice neat cut though - hopefully when I take the steri strips off it''ll have healed cleanly.

So a rubbish "Red Rejects" then? well, not entirely. If the company can sort out the handle length, this will represent a very very good combo. A puuko is what....£25? Postage at..£5? So an 8" carbon steel Leuku at £45 looks like a bargin - but only if they fix that stupid and dangerously short handle. If they do and tell me, I'll let you know. Until then, with regret, give this tool set a miss

Red

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great post Red. I bought one of the Finnish Knives from the shop at the moot, and I love it.
Just wondering, ive been having trouble sparking the old fireflash, with it. I belive its a carbon type steel as it rusts easy, and ive flat filed the back edge. How are yours?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just run the puukko over one - no trouble addo - it can be down to the hardness of the spine though. The material is irrelevant - I can get a spark off a ferro rod with a bit of glass no problem!

Red

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ok cheers for trying out the rod. must admit the spine seemed quite hard when flatening it. Shame rearly.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
There is a certain point to the grips being somewhat rough. It's called grip. This is specially important when using mitts (as these tools are known to be used with). The rougher wood also swells more when wet, again, assuring a good grip, when wet.

I agree with the touristic look of the sheath, and maybe that's the problem with the leukus handle too? More of a tourist knife than a real user? Having had a couple of leukus none of mine have short handles. Hmm. The leuku handle looks all wrong to me. Not even close to what the more traditional look like.

Interesting review none the less. Nice to hear something from you BR

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent BR :approve: thank you for this. :D

I'm small but even I would have problems with that handle I think.........did they not try it out at the makers ?

Good on them for being prepared to have a go at making something more suitable though.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bod,

The injury happened in batoning - the sudden downward tilt of the blade caused my fingers - which were too close together - to slip on the handle and the leading index finger to "pop" onton the blade. This caused a cut just where you would imagine. I can't see how it would happen if the handle was longer. A good clean and BBs assistance with the steri strips will hopefully see all heals well :)

Red

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Big Swede, have you got a photo of a more traditional handle? perhaps one of yours?

cheers
Steve

Okay, now I've taken a photo

IMG_8462.jpg

It is kind of bellshaped, ambidextrous and no protruding objects or shapes. Mine differs from strømengs in that the butt on my handle is rivited and screwed. Mine is worn smooth by years of using, and I should really roughen it up a bit to get the features I described in my reply to BR.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not a question of not liking it my friend - its just plain wrongly made in the handle. If I could remove it and add a longer handle I would - sadly not possble though.

Unless David comes up with a replacement I think it will go into the coal fired hell reserved for bad knives

Red

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thats weird I was looking at these today at the game fair but through another supplier. I was really impressed but the guy had sold the last one in the combo form. Really liked the puuko though. Got to say for the money they looked really good but didn't know about the issue with the smallness of the handle.Wonder how it would be with my humper lumper hands?
What was the length Red?
Ta Dave

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The Leuku handle is just 4" down the side Dave - I'd say it needs anther half inch to an inch

Red

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Be interested if they mod the handle.As mentioned had a quick look at them but he didn't have them in combo in the sheath so I took his email. Looked nicely made for the money think he said £61 delivered (?!?!) Maybe it was a good thing that I never bought it in retrospect.Oh yea I don't think you mentioned the maker was this deliberate as not to upset the apple cart?
Ta
Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE