Retro fitting a lanyard tube

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
I'm sure that this is probably a dumb question, but if I want to fit a lanyard tube my Karesuando Boar knife is it just a matter of drilling the right size hole and glueing in a piece of copper tube?

The knife has an internal tang which apparently only extends 2.5" into the handle, so presumably there will be plenty of room to drill without hitting the steel.

As I said, probably a dumb question, but I just can't afford to make a disastrous boo-boo!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
as long as you clamp the thing firmly so it doesn't wobble (causing a wonky and oval hole) and you use a nice sharp drill, then there is no problem :) If the break through causes a chip then you can counter sink the two ends of the hole and then flar the tube to fill the countersink, thus covering up the chipping ;)

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Just had to look up your knife to assure myself that you weren't on about a 'pig sticker' with a tang that only went into the handle 2 1/2" ! That would be a disaster waiting to happen :lol:

As Dave says, clamp it firmly and drill carefully with a good bit and all should be well. Buy your tube carefully. Not all 6mm tube IS 6mm etc ;) I'd recommend going for tubing with a sensibly thick wall so you can afford to roughen it up on the outer suface in order to give the epoxy a good 'key'. This will help ensure that the tube never moves once the epoxy is set.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
as long as you clamp the thing firmly so it doesn't wobble (causing a wonky and oval hole) and you use a nice sharp drill, then there is no problem :) If the break through causes a chip then you can counter sink the two ends of the hole and then flar the tube to fill the countersink, thus covering up the chipping ;)

Clamp a block of scrap wood on the exit side to minimise chipping.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE