Rest In Peace Sir.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
HarryPatch_228x240.jpg

Harry Patch, the last survivor of World War One to fight in the trenches, has died.
He passed away at Fletcher House, the care home in Somerset where he was living. He was 111.

The care home released a statement which read: "It is with much sadness that we must announce the death of Mr Harry Patch at the age of 111."

The statement continued: "Funeral arrangements are being made in accordance with Mr Patch's wishes, and we wish to extend our deepest sympathies to his family, friends and the residents and staff of Fletcher House."

Mr Patch, known as the Last Tommy, fought in the battle of Passchendaele in 1917 in which more than 70,000 British troops died.

He became Britain's oldest man when another veteran of the war, Henry Allingham, died on July 18 aged 113.

Mr Patch was a machine-gunner in the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry.

He served in the trenches as a private from June to September 1917.

Born on June 17 1898, he grew up in Combe Down, near Bath, and left school at the age of 15 to train as a plumber.

He was 16 when war broke out and reached 18 as conscription was being introduced and after six months training he was sent to the front line.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Its a shame these men have not received knighthoods or other real recognition when gerrard got an MBE for "services to football"

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
that is sad to see.
i read his book 2 weeks ago and i think he said the only thing he didnt like about being old is everyone from his generation is dead.
still apparently living to an old age runs in his family with several members living to their 90's.
Rest In Peace Harry.

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
I salute you Mr Harry Patch, may you rest in peace, reunited with your fallen comrades.

Why do these great men and women never receive any kind of award for the service they caried out for this country, why is it always sports people who get them. What have they ever done for this country?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Japan honours it's special people as Living Treasures. I doubt it's something these men would ever have sought for themselves but to remember them and their comrades with gratitude is no bad thing.

I like Runrig's song of one of their old neighbour's passing. Kind of summed up the way the men felt coming away from that carnage and coming home to our sweet green islands, yet giving them their place in their memories.

The old Boys
Are all leaving
Leaving one by one
Where young birds go flying
Spread your wings and run
But over the fields
By the drystone walls
An eagle will come no more

Welcome
Were the headlands
St Valery behind
No medals worth wasting
On memories of sand
But sweet is the breeze
Over Raasay
The morning awaits you there

What kind
Of heroes
Here for us now
Where leaders, stone preachers
Minnows on flow
But low hang the lights
Over Viewfield
And this night will day see no more

After a long life, well lived, rest in peace Mr Patch :)

:curtsey:
Toddy

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Its a shame these men have not received knighthoods or other real recognition when gerrard got an MBE for "services to football"

ain't that the truth!

And the England cricket team got OBE's for beating the Aussies in 2005. What a joke. So we should beat the Aussies every now and again, and not once in a blue moon. We win once and everyone gets a gong. Australia is a commonwealth country. When did their ashes winning team get gongs? They whitewashed us in 2007................I saw no gongs for the Aussies :confused:
Anyway god rest Mr Patch. A selfless generation unlike the whinging, moaning me, me, me generation of present day.......and Rest in peace the guys dying now in Afghanistan. They're all heroes in my book. :You_Rock_ :beerchug:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Hes probably one of (if not `the`) Last Victorian.

My Great grandfather died in the great war. the sad thing (one of several sad things, actually) is he was a Tinker and so was fighting for a society which cared nothing about him.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

must be a high pollen count today!!

I hate yet love reading these threads. Hate it because it represents the death of someone and that's sad. Love it because it shows how much empathy and care is actually out there!

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Our troops are treated like pooh!
There's an advert on TV at the moment to..... 'Join the Army and get 16k after training'............................
woopdy poopdy! the big 16k. It's a joke. 16k is nothing nowadays, but they make it out as though they're the big generous givers doing us all a favour.
It was no better when I served. It's always been the same. British soldiers are treated abonimably. The American cousins for all their faults at least look after their boys.
Our boys and girls are treated like a commodity and stuff you with your minimal compensation if you get hurt or die. Disgraceful Mr Gordon Brown.
Our friends over the pond............for all their faults (and we have a few of our own) definately look after their troops. Before and after they've given their all.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Half of 16K wold be a fortune to me....

You havn't faced hostile crowds and driven through riots, and brick and petrol bomb throwing irate drunk hostile individuals who have just come out from the New lodge pubs or the Ardoyne.

16k is a big disgusting, vomiting, insult for what our boys and girls go through.
Brown ................the clown. ......I'd like to send Brown to Iraq and even worse Afghanistan. I bet Blair won't be sending Blair juinor there. He's a disgrace to our land and the memory of fine men who've laid their lives down for our freedom.
I'd better stop or I'll get severely carried away .

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

must be a high pollen count today!!

I hate yet love reading these threads. Hate it because it represents the death of someone and that's sad. Love it because it shows how much empathy and care is actually out there!

I concur!
We WILL remember them!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE