Repairing a canvas tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I was just given a British military tent. A "12x12", although it's actually 12'x15'. Someone explain that to me. Anyway, it's in great shape except that a mouse ate a tunnel into it while it was in storage. When I unrolled it, there was a series of holes with a pile of birdseed in the middle. I have some Sunforger canvas that I can cut up for patches, but I'm not sure what adhesive to use. After reading all the labels on all the glues at the hardware store, I'm thinking 'Shoe Goo'. Anyone have any advice?

Also, the aluminum frame is missing. I don't think it will be difficult to make a wood frame, but if anyone has any thoughts before I start cutting, I'd like to hear them.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do you get the same sticky backed cotton 'sniper' tape that our folks do ?

If you do, stick that on over the holes and then stitch it in place. Makes a very tidy repair job :D it's secure, it blends well with the canvas, it's quick and simple and if the glue eventually degrades then the cotton still holds :)

Usually the extra 3' is an awning space...........well it was in our old cook tent of that size.

cheers,
M

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I'll have to take it outside and unroll it again to make sure, but if I remember correctly there were seven mouse-sized holes. There's a place near here that makes canvas tops and covers for boats, after the holiday weekend I'll run it over there and see what they can tell me.

Seems like a very well-made, heavy-duty tent. There's no jack for a stove pipe, though, which surprises me. I guess the weather's relatively mild in Britain.

I'm having visions of a very comfortable base camp for next deer hunting season, a "portable cabin" with a cot, table and chair.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE