Removing silicone from steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I had to bed a fitting on silicone sealant - inevitably some of the silicone got smeared around on the surrounding steel. Now I need to paint the surrounding area.

It's mild steel and I'll be using smooth hammerite. Normally I'd use a wire brush on an angle grinder to remove rust, old paint and other contaminants.

What can I do to get rid of the silicone residue?

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
And you had no problem with paint adhering afterwards?

My steel surface isn't perfectly flat so I couldn't scrape it off. Hence normally using a wire brush/angle grinder.

StuMsg

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
no issue painting afterwards. Any inevitable little left over bits can be rubbed off with a finger as the bond between silicon and steel isnt actually strong in small pieces - or use fine sand paper if your painting anyway - or as above, wirewool. clean down with white spirit or any other solvent (which is normal practice for painting metals to get rid of grease etc.)

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Should be able to get my hands on some nail varnish remover, will try that. Thanks.

This is in an awkward position, it's 3" from the waterline on an boat. Still need to complete welding it on, the steelpatch is held on with tekscrews for now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE