Removing bark from Ash sapling bow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
When I went hunting for that perfect piece of hazel to have my first bash at sapling bow making, a nice ash sapling fell off the tree just as I passed and I couldn't resist :rolleyes:

I've split it down and thinned the width towards the ends of the limbs, but I think I've found the problem with harvesting it in winter though - how do I get the bark off the bl**dy thing? It's like it's super glued on :cussing:

I don't really want to attack it with a knife to strip it, as I don't want to damage the outer growth ring and possibly induce a weakness: or am I worrying about nothing there?

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Try putting it in the shower and running hot water over the bark scrape the outer bark off first. It should go soft enought to make scraping it off easier.

Andy

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
If I was to strip an ash sapling I would first sned any side branches by sawing or cutting with a billhook, then carefully pare the stump's level and flush with the rest of the sapling with a bill hok, knife or rasp. Then use a very sharp drawknife bevel down (better for manouvering) and shave the bark off. Let the sapling dry for as long as it takes, then finish with a cabinet scraper.
If the sapling fell off the teree I wouldnt rate it any way it almost certainly has started to rot why else would it fall off? Better with a fresh cut one or use a piece split out of a bigger log. Try the slap down test, hold one end and whack the other end hard down (like john cleese) on the ground. If its sound it wont break. I did this recntly with hazel poles that felt dry and "light", its a quick way to do quality control:lmao:

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
Errrmmmm ... it only fell off the tree after I'd rubbed the sharp edge of a laplander against it a few times. It's perfectly solid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE