Removing baked on tar from your billy cans.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
My woodgas stove leaves a thick sticky residue of tar on my cooking pots. No amount of scrubbing will remove it. And it has a tendency to mark anything it touches.

The solution is simple. A quick rub with ethanol brings it back to almost new. Guessing meths or nail varnish remover will also work.

An hour of scrubbing evaporates into a five minute wipe.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Good tip. I use methanol to clean lots of things. Our windows at home have never been so clea!

Just remember to use rubber gloves. Methanol is absorbed through the skin and causes many issues including blindness.

Edit: re-read it and noted ethanol not methanol but the same safety protection wouldnt go amiss.

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Isn't there a trick of coating the outside of your pot with soap before using it?

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
Yep, a trick we use all the time on Scout camps. Coat the pans liberally in fairy liquid before putting them over the fire and they will easily come clean after. Even the kettle we have on all week will come up shiny at the end of the week!!

Might try the ethanol trick sometime.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Good tip. I use methanol to clean lots of things. Our windows at home have never been so clea!

Just remember to use rubber gloves. Methanol is absorbed through the skin and causes many issues including blindness.

Edit: re-read it and noted ethanol not methanol but the same safety protection wouldnt go amiss.

Why, does it absorb through your skin and cause inebriation? Problem? IPA is also cheap and good for cleaning stuff of course.

The price has just dropped on this listing and I believe I have used this seller before.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280963193813&ssPageName=ADME:X:PROI:GB:3160

It is a bit of an art to burn it cleanly for cooking with.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Since I don't stack them, for my over burning wood kettle and copper frying pan (they are tinned so even if I had nesting sized pans they couldn't go in each other bare) I simply made thick linen sacks to fit them in and leave the residue on the outside of the pans. If the tar starts to come though ill just chuck the bags in the washer. Saves the extra work.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Since I don't stack them, for my over burning wood kettle and copper frying pan (they are tinned so even if I had nesting sized pans they couldn't go in each other bare) I simply made thick linen sacks to fit them in and leave the residue on the outside of the pans. If the tar starts to come though ill just chuck the bags in the washer. Saves the extra work.

ATB

Tom

That's more or less what I used to do, however this stuff was a thick sticky paste. With ethanol it really is no work at all.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
You wanna be careful if using caustic soda on pans, especially if its something like an aluminium pan, or kelly kettle, as it will eat through the finish in seconds.

I leave a black soot patina on my zebra billy, as this helps it to boil faster.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
In summary

If you want to leave it you can
Cleaning products can be dangerous

However

- if you "do" want to clean them (ie. they get very sticky and messy to handle - woodgas stoves seem to exacerbate this) - ethanol is safe and easy plus you may also be carrying some with you. (If you've cottoned on to how cheap it is compared to meths).

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
In summary

If you want to leave it you can
Cleaning products can be dangerous

However

- if you "do" want to clean them (ie. they get very sticky and messy to handle - woodgas stoves seem to exacerbate this) - ethanol is safe and easy plus you may also be carrying some with you. (If you've cottoned on to how cheap it is compared to meths).

I can get Meths at £2/litre, can you get ethanol cheaper? :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE