Reminiscing about a rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Tonight I have been sitting in front of the 'fire' and as a result of the imbibing of some red wine, I have gotten around to some reminiscing. About a rucksack. At the end of the 70's (afore most of you youngsters was born) I had a bad accident and was told I would never walk again. Suffice it to say, I was determined to prove them wrong, and after a painful year of physiotherapy not only was I walking , but I was walking all day !!!. I entered a period of self employment which meant that, at the end of a contract, I was free to take some time off if I wished. I used to save up some money and go walkabout in Europe & North Africa for about three months every year over a period of about 5-6 years. On those long walks, my faithful companion was a relatively cheap Camp Trails externally framed rucksack. It had two compartments in the main body and four side pockets and a top pocket. The frame had a space under the bag for attaching a tent & sleeping bag. When you live out of a rucksack for months, you get to be very good at packing a rucksack and carrying JUST what you need. That sack meant a lot to me.
Page forward a couple of decades and the marriage that stopped me walking (career, mortgage, kids, cars etc. became important) also came to an end. So in 2010, I arrived at my house with a small van to take my stuff away. I spent two days packing the van. It was packed floor to ceiling and I could just about get the doors closed. Just as I pulled away, I notice 'someone' had put all my camping gear outside round the side of the house. It was all soaked, and mildew has set in with a vengeance. Atop the lot was my Camp Trails rucksack, looking very sorry. The van was full, chock-a-block to the point where I had the drivers seat pushed as far forward as I could. I decided to keep driving, telling myself 'I'll get another one'. But I've never found that exact one. I have other rucksacks, all with internal frames, but if I ever come across that Camp Trails rucksack again, I will definitely buy it, just for old times sake. Please excuse the ramblings of an old man :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
No need to be excused in my mind, but then I get accused of rambling on too.:D
Back in a similar time period my first big boys rucksack was an external frame jobbie. Removeable waist and sholder straps. So removable in fact that it came to me sans one shoulder strap. I had to sew one and I remember using one of my old karate belts for the purpose. The sack parts also came off so that large bulky items could be lashed to it for transport. There was also a fold down part at the bottom of the frame to help take the weight.
Wasn't the best exped rucksack I've ever had. Think that would go to my mahoosive TNF Rogue. But like you I had so many adventures and firsts with it that I'll always remember it with a smile.
Sorry to hear ou no longer have her, though sometimes things are better living on in our heads than in our hands.
Enjoyed your post,
GB.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE