Remember the days when...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Welshwizard

Forager
Aug 11, 2011
Abergavenny Wales
Oh dear, I remember when a quid would cover a pi$$-up, fish supper and the bus.
I was on a weekly wage of just over £5 gave my mother £2 week left me with £3 for bus to work ,lunches and nights out , If you had ten bob you could have a good night out on cider ,it use to be a lot cheaper than beer then .

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
1973 I was earning very good money for my age, £108 take home. Five pints for a pound so I could in theory buy 500 pints of beer a week. Now 500 pints in 2011 would mean I'd need to take home about £1,500 a week:red:

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
1970,s power cuts and having the best tasting toast and baked potatoes cooked on the old open front range -house lit by candle light ...and the tin bath in front of the fire on a sunday night !!!! pure magic !!:lmao:

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
NO! say it isn't so :( .........QUOTE]

This was last month, but the paper said that no buyer had been found a week ago.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-15001428

You'd think someone would buy a sweetie company with a good traditional reputation, all the equipment in place, trained staff, and no debt.....isn't that written off ?

cheers,
M

They've been bought but the Scottish factories are being closed - manufacture moving south unfortunately.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/9306951.Wham_Bars_and_Highland_Toffee_to_be_made_in_York_following_acquisition/

Welshwizard

Forager
Aug 11, 2011
Abergavenny Wales
:grouphug:I remember Ansells bitter at 11p a pint at the Railway (GER) Club in 1975 and 2 pulls on the bandit for 5p with a £5 jackpot (all in 5p's :rofl:).

About 1958ish the snow was that bad I couldn't walk through it at 9 years old to get the bus to school, so I had to drive a tractor to the top of our road to catch it, AND THE TRAINS AND BUSES WERE RUNNING ON TIME THROUGH IT ALL!:drive:
Local Bobby clipping your ear as you had road your bike home from the youth club (Love on a Mountain Top was the hit single or Killer Queen:vio:) and your batteries were flat in your lights as you couldn't afford to replace them. He then told your old man when he saw him up town on Market and Auction day so you got another one off him (or the strap).:240:
I bet you can remember the one present Santa:christmas2: sent every year as well (not the three sackfuls everyone seems to get now)......

:sad6:...........................I could write this reminisce for days (no minimum characters apply here) :lmao::lmao:

I remember the winter of 1963 well it hit real hard in the vallies of S.Wales ,drifting snow all night ,no central heating - coal fire with a back boiler ,as much ice on the inside of the windows as outside !
Woke up for school and found the snow upto the bedroom window ,school closed but we had no bread ,milk or parafin for the oil heater ,
local shops closed so we had a two mile trek to the garage with the snow still coming down in blizzard conditions ,got home to hot jacket spuds sat in front of that lovely open fire ,my toes blue with the cols where the snow had gone over my wellies brr. :theyareon

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
Cresta -" its frothy:eek:amazing man" slogan ,Fry,s five boys bar and Fry,s fruit bar with a different fruit in each section ,

Cresta was the devil's work, but Fry's five boys and fruit bars were lovely :D

Don't forget four-for-a-penny Blackjacks and Fruit Salad. There was no lying to your mum when you'd had Blackjacks - the tongue told all!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
ha'penny chocolate covered caramels :D and Royal Scot biscuits :D

I used to find it fascinating watching the ice designs grow on the window, day after day :cool:

I mind those power cuts too.......queuing for 2 hours for a loaf and again for coal :sigh:
Mum baked but there wasn't even flour to be bought, so we had oatbread and oatcakes. Everything was in short supply then.
I think that's probably why I keep a really good pantry nowadays :)

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE