Reindeer skin help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I think they all shed hair to some extent. The hairs are hollow and break off pretty easily. If the skin is used as a rug or has a lot of traffic over it, it will surely loose hair. I know of no way to stop this.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
<nods mine too>

I think its built in obsalecense so that the saami can sell you another next year

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
My reindeer hides also sheds hair. I see no problem with that as I don`t store them in my house.
My skins are just hung up to dry on a wall after skinning the animals, so I expect them to shed hairs.
When the skins are no longer usable as sleeping mat, just dehair (the rest of the hair :) ) them, throw them in a strong bark solution and you have the finest leather.

Tor

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Tor helge said:
When the skins are no longer usable as sleeping mat, just dehair (the rest of the hair :) ) them, throw them in a strong bark solution and you have the finest leather.

Tor

Ahh, good idea!

Mine loose hair all the time, which is fine when we're out but now and then the kids find them and snuggle into them and I have to clean up, well, the kids do but it's my fault for having them :D

Sheep skins don't loose hair, my friend has just sewn a couple together and it's given him a good sized skin with no mess :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE