Registered Organ Donor ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
The current "Are you a blood donor" thread has reminded me to make sure I was registered to be an organ donor in the event of my death.

I registered over twenty years ago and always meant to make sure I still was as I believe they were suggesting an opt-out scheme, which makes sense IMHO but I didn't know whether it actually came to fruition ?

Anyway, Now I know I am ! For anyone else who wishes to register, here's a link...

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/ukt/how_to_become_a_donor/how_to_become_a_donor.asp

Just a note on being an Organ Donor:

One of my best friends passed away a couple of years ago from a sudden brain haemorrhage, she and her husband are both organ donors, and once it was obvious that she was clinically dead, her other half gave permission for her organs to be harvested.
He is very proud to say that her Organs have saved or made a significant difference to the lives of at least seven other people.
I have personally met two of the women and their families and can only say what a fantastic 'gift' being a donor is.

Discuss in advance with your family and loved ones, then sign up.

CHirs

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I am a registered organ donor (signed up online) but I do believe that we should all be organ donors unless we opt out.

I have recently become a blood donor too - I was unable to do this previously because of the work I did in the Armed Forces and the places I served. I went with a friend a few weeks ago and it was easy. The whole thing took about an hour and the drop-in centre in the middle of Glasgow means you could go on a Saturday morning or a lunchtime if you wanted - very convenient. I will admit I was a little worried beforehand as I had no idea what to expect but, to be honest, I felt a bit ashamed afterwards as it was nothing!

I am going for an assessment soon to see if I can become a platelet donor (apparently, I have the right blood group and good veins: very proud of my veins now) - this takes a little longer but doesn't remove red blood cells and so has less of an effect on the body afterwards, so you recover more quickly.

If you don't give blood, you should ask yourself 'why not?' It doesn't hurt, doesn't take long, and you get a drink and a biscuit. You also get to save lives every time you donate. I wish I'd been able to do it earlier in my life. Just imagine it as charitable giving that costs you nothing but an hour of your time. One day, you might need it back (think about the bush crafting activities that you do, outdoors, remote locations, sharps, fires, etc) and, frankly, I won't feel guilty now about taking blood from the national blood bank if I need it because I have started putting blood in.

What are you waiting for? Find out where your nearest blood donation centre is and go along next time you are nearby. In England/Wales, go to: http://www.blood.co.uk and in Scotland http://www.scotblood.co.uk/

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi. Im a Donor recipient. At 16yrs old my kidneys failed and I was put on dialysis. About 18months later I had a kidney transplant which gave me great health for 21 years. During this time I met my wife and we have two great kids. Dan 23 today and Gill 21 in November this year. Gill is at Uni studying Photography and Fashion, Dan is a graduate and has a degree in Physics and is just compleating his teacher training in July this year.
My first transplant failied in 2002 and I went back onto dialysis but again my number came up and had a second transplant in October 2003. I worked during the time of the first transplant with "difficult" teenagers in schools, youth clubs and on the streets as a detached youthworker. Trying to give back something to the community/society that had helped me. (impossible but you know what I mean).
All I can say is a big thankyou to everyone who signs up for the list, not just for me but all those people still waiting and their families. I know that this is a sensitive subject but it is a difficult and a rare event to be able to say thankyou for what I recieved.
If anyone would like further info or like to ask anything then PM me.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I worked in Dialysis Tristar and know how difficult life can be when you have to hook up three days a week.

Again I've seen in general nursing the difference a transplant can make and as someone else said, one dead body can help several.

Please, all of you who have not.....register and above all else TELL YOUR FAMILY, the last thing the hospital team want are families and loved ones arguing the toss over whether or not they can take your organs (I've seen that happen too).

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
I worked in Dialysis Tristar and know how difficult life can be when you have to hook up three days a week.

Again I've seen in general nursing the difference a transplant can make and as someone else said, one dead body can help several.

Please, all of you who have not.....register and above all else TELL YOUR FAMILY, the last thing the hospital team want are families and loved ones arguing the toss over whether or not they can take your organs (I've seen that happen too).

Hi Richard. Youre right. Its so important to let your family know your wishes either way. My Dad passed away 3months after my second transplant and I wasnt able to travel to say farewell. But we knew he had signed up and his liver helped a young man with a young family. It cannot take the pain of loss away but can help alittle in knowing that final act helped someone.

Thanks. John.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
It's worth noting that you can also register as a live donar for your spare kidney. You can live a full life on one as both my sisters who were born with just one can vouch.
If you did later develop kidney problems you are automatically added to the top of the list.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE