Recommended bivi bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hobson

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2012
Devon
I need to get a new bivi bag for the week long walking holiday my wife and i have planned, can anyone recommend any? and are the army ones any good?

We'll be walking around spring/early summer so it shouldn't be too cold, and if the weather is very wet i'll hook up a basha to keep the ground a bit dryer.

Any suggestions?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Have a good look at the kit chatter section, or use the search and you will find lots and lots of bivi bag talk and threads; stacks of opinions out there waiting for you chap.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The army ones are good, heavy though at around 900g. If weight isn't too important you'll get some good use out of it.

If you want something a bit lighter look at Snugpak, Terra Nova and Vaude

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
Look up Alpkits Hunka - http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16312&category_id=253 - priced around the same as decent condition army bivi-bag.
No first hand experience, but when my army one packs in I'll probably get one.

i can vouch for the Alpkit Hunka. It's a great bag, and extraordinary value. Packs much smaller and lighter than the army bags; and more breathable, without compromising water-resistance. I've slept in downpours and storms in mine, and stayed dry.

yeha

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2009
North Yorkshire
I like my Dutch army single hoop bivi. I have a UK issue one and an eastern european issue one as well. Both are hassle to get into but the long side zip on the Dutch one makes it so easy. Unfortunately they are a bit rare at the moment and also quite bulky. The Aqua Quest ones on ebay look interesting.

Granite Head

Nomad
Aug 16, 2011
Dublin Mountains
i can vouch for the Alpkit Hunka. It's a great bag, and extraordinary value. Packs much smaller and lighter than the army bags; and more breathable, without compromising water-resistance. I've slept in downpours and storms in mine, and stayed dry.

Jeffz, which version do you have - regular / large?

I was thinking of getting one but not sure if regular would be tight with a down sleeping bag.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I have an Army one, and find it very roomy - not being one that feels comfortable in a mummy bag, I find there is plenty of movement room :)

Having said that though, Other than the orange plastic 'survival bags' I have nothing else to compare it to

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I have the Rab Survival Zone and Rab storm. The SZ is what ALpkit kind of copied (well it is a good homage to it but not a direct copy I'm sure). It has moree breathable fabric based on my experience. The standard length hunka is shorter than the Rab SZ which I fit into nicely (I'm 6'5" tall). Thee Hunka XL actually looked to me to have the same volume in it when in use as the Rab SZ despite it being supposedly bigger.

You can pick up the Rab SZ for a price that is not too much more than the hunka XL if you shop around. I got mine for £40.

The storm is about as breathable as the Hunka IMHO but it is bigger and able to take a mat inside it too. Plus the floor is of a non-breathable and more durable fabric to go directly onto the ground without protection that the Rab SZ and Alpkit Hunka really need if there are rocky or stony or thorny ground where you bivvy. The Rab storm is often available at cheap prices. I got mine from Rock and Run for £30 last spring.

I have no experience of any other bivvy bag but have read on here something that some army bivvy bags are not goretex but a copy type of fabric. I am not sure about it for sure but with goretex you have to make sure it is the right one if you zip up in a storm. With civvy goretex bivvy bags (and the newer eVent fabric ones) the fabric actually allows vapour to easily pass through. This is important as if it didn't then you could theoretically sufocate if fuly closed up I think. It was called goretex flo IIRC. However easily able to leave at leasat slightly unzipped to get around this risk.

I'd also consider a micro tarp at least to cover the head for a a bit of respite from British Spring / Summer. You can pick them up cheap (or make them yourself) for about £30 and if made out of decent weight of sil-nylon it would only weigh 115g typically so not a big weight penalty. This is especially handy for the hunka style sleeping bag cover of a bivvy bag which really just covers your sleeping bag. with a drawstring closure only. The micro tarp also protects your gear a bit too if you are using those smaller bivvy bags.

Hope this helps.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
How about te US military Goretex bag? Apparently really-well made, and got a side-zip for those that find zipless bags a pain to get in and out of.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
The army ones are the best in my opinon..I've used them for years
But using a tarp aswell could be a good idea aswell. As it would give you more shelter

I got a Hi Gear bivvi bag last year as I was attracted to it's small size. I've used it under trees, in old barns and under a basha in temperatures down to about 1 degree and never had a problem. It's not the toughest bit of equipment I own but it's yet to rip or leak on me. I usually slide my Thermarest inside then follow in with my sleeping bag. Never been too cold to sleep with that combo yet. If I do break it, it only cost me about £25. I've used a thick army style one before which was bomb proof but heavy and bulky. If you have a car and want something tough I would agree with the others who recommend an ex-army bag as it will probably out last you. If you want something lightweight then I can recommend the Hi Gear bag.

I got a Hi Gear bivvi bag last year as I was attracted to it's small size. I've used it under trees, in old barns and under a basha in temperatures down to about 1 degree and never had a problem.

I'd like to amend that last recommendation! I used the Hi Gear bivvi this weekend camping out in the snow. When I woke up my sleeping bag was very damp (almost wet) from the condensation. Not an big issue this time as I was only staying for one night so I could dry everything back at home, but if I had been packing up and moving on for additional nights, it would have caused problems. I think I'm going to look for an alternative myself as well.

Tim Moss

Jul 26, 2014
London
WildCamperUK, I don't suppose you happen to know how much your HiGear bivi weighs (or weighed, if you ditched it)?

I'm compiling a comparison table of different bivi bags for my website but can't find the weight for the Adventure Bivvi anywhere.

Many thanks,
Tim.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE