Recommendation for good Tent for Garden Bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
I am planning to put up a large size tent in the garden for storing garden tools while working around the garden. It would be used for having lunches and drinking teas in the tent in the middle of the garden work. I have a lot to work on the garde for clearing stuff, and tidying up the path and sorting out things in the shed, and repairing the broken fence.

Looking into some online Tent sellers both on Amazon and eBay, there are so many different kinds of tents including 3 second setting Tents, I have no idea which tent would be best for my use. I would certainly prefer easy installation options, and something like 3 second setup tents seem very tempting. But I am not sure how reliable and robust they are.

I would like to have a largish tent (4 - 5 person ones) for storing the kits and tools in the tent for easy and quick access for the graden works. Any information, advice, tips on the tent uses, choices or recommendation would be grateful.

The tent must be fully rain proof, simple to setup, and spacious for storing the garden tools as well as having lunches & teas for the breaks, and shelter from the sudden possible down pours of rains. Robustness for long time usage would be bonus.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
From what you describe, one of the inflatable frame tunnel tents might serve your purpose. By adding a porch you have an open tea drinking area as well as the “living room” and the rear room becomes your tool storage.

How often do you intend to strike your tent? If it is going to be up for a season then you probably need to be thinking of a more traditional heavy canvas tent which you can coat regularly with anti-fungal and anti-algi treatments. These tents have the advantage that you can brail the walls in fine weather. They do however take more effort to erect.

This is a novel use of a tent in my experience and I’ll be interested to know what you choose and how you get on.

Reactions: spader

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I would think you would not want a floor in the tent, and would want to be able to open doors or roll up walls for through ventilation. I would have tended to go with a large tarp rather than a tent, but only if the tools were only out for use, not multi-day storage. I have had tents in my garden for a few days, and they do not improve the grass under them.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
From what you describe, one of the inflatable frame tunnel tents might serve your purpose. By adding a porch you have an open tea drinking area as well as the “living room” and the rear room becomes your tool storage.

How often do you intend to strike your tent? If it is going to be up for a season then you probably need to be thinking of a more traditional heavy canvas tent which you can coat regularly with anti-fungal and anti-algi treatments. These tents have the advantage that you can brail the walls in fine weather. They do however take more effort to erect.

This is a novel use of a tent in my experience and I’ll be interested to know what you choose and how you get on.

I would like to setup the tent, and leave it for the whole summer while works going on. So, something more solid and robust tent would be ideal. Looking at the new 3 sec. setup tents in Amazon and eBay, they didn't look too strong to last for long time.

I have not seen the inflateable fram tunnel tents before, so will have browse for them for the price and how they work.

I had a vintage canvas tent for the scouts a few year ago, and setup at the corner of the garden for wood carving works in there in the rain. They were heavy, sturdy and good, but was bullky to store and tricky to set up, and take off fold. They could be more expensive than the plastic tents. If parts were lost or broken, it was difficult to source them too.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
I would think you would not want a floor in the tent, and would want to be able to open doors or roll up walls for through ventilation. I would have tended to go with a large tarp rather than a tent, but only if the tools were only out for use, not multi-day storage. I have had tends in my garden for a few days, and they do not improve the grass under them.
Good point. If it is to be set up on the grass area, it would be better without the flooring which can only be possible with tarp or mobile garage type shelters. I have seen these for sale on eBay for good price. Only thing I was not sure about these were, it looked hassle to set up with many pieces of metal pipes to connect to make up the frame.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I was gonna say a surplus 9x9ft canvas tent, but it appears you've already tried that and you're not keen....

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I understand better. I think the shelter like Tony has at the Moot, made of pipes, a bit of a pain to put up, but pretty sturdy. I have friends who have been building their own house for several years and have several such shelters to hold tools and materials in (what is left of) the garden. The gazebos look possible too.
Tents, by definition, are designed to be portable and sacrifice some durability to be so. A summer long pitch in one spot doesn't need light weight, or all the costs of waterproof floor, sewn in bug nets, double walls or zippered doors/windows.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
How about a movable garage?

62860_W3.jpg

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
5m bell tent without the floor, they have roll up sides for air flow if required, plenty of headroom a big door ant very very easy to put up.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Thank you for your info and advice. Very informative and helpful.
I was browsing the online sellers items, and was interested in this item for its good price, and simplicity. How robust it would be I am not sure.

Reactions: Woody girl

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Or even this carport seemed good. It is more flexibile in the way that if needed, it can always be draped with a tarp around the sides, or just be left open for lots of spaces to get in and out. The main point seems that it will shelter from the rain and the elements, and be more robust due to less attachement in the kit. (No fabrics apart from the roof, and all metal pipes construction hence lighter and simpler.)

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have had this type of greenhouse kit in the garden a few year ago. It was ok, but was too flimsy in construction. It was blown off and damaged during the winter storm. Went to bin.
The other problem with a see through shelter of any type is that tools can be seen, and dissappear, as there is no security at all. also very very hot in the summer. I had an igloo type one that was unbearably hot in the summer, killed all the grass inside, and didn't last long at all. Waste of money...and it was expensive!

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
I'd honestly be worried about unsecured tools, full stop. Not just because they might go walkabout, but because you might be effectively providing a burgler's tool kit. Criminals tend to be pretty lazy, but if the means to lever open a window or your back door are right in front of them... Don't know of your circumstances, spader, so might not be relevant, but I daresay for a lot of us it could be.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
The other problem with a see through shelter of any type is that tools can be seen, and dissappear, as there is no security at all. also very very hot in the summer. I had an igloo type one that was unbearably hot in the summer, killed all the grass inside, and didn't last long at all. Waste of money...and it was expensive!
I'd honestly be worried about unsecured tools, full stop. Not just because they might go walkabout, but because you might be effectively providing a burgler's tool kit. Criminals tend to be pretty lazy, but if the means to lever open a window or your back door are right in front of them... Don't know of your circumstances, spader, so might not be relevant, but I daresay for a lot of us it could be.

This is something one has to keep in mind when placing the tools around out in the garden.

All my pricy electric tools are in the wooden and metal shed locked up securely. They only come out the sheds when getting used, and go back in after.

The only tools I put out in the garden all through the year are, digging spades, leaf forks, the sweeping brush and the weeder. They are always out kept either at the corner of the garden or on the path for easy quick access. They are cheap and old, hence never go missing. But only problem is that with the constant rain water on the wooden handles, they get splits and paint peeling off. I was going to put them under the shelter away from the elements.

Having a shelter with roof cover will also enable me to run a wood burning stove burning all the twigs and fallen braches gathered from the soil, getting rid of them, and the ashes can go into the compost bin for feeding the grass. It also would help keeping the midges and flies away with the smoke from the wood burning stove under the shelter.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE