Recommend me books for menfolks ? please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Christmas is a coming, and I'm nearly done shopping :D :D :smug grin:

However, my list of things for the menfolks is showing a dearth of reading material.
They get something to eat, to drink, to play with, to use, to wear and to read, since they're all earning and buy whatever they want/need when they take the notion.
It makes present buying difficult so I came up with the list years ago instead.

I still need books/reading material for them this year though.
Any good ideas or recommendations ?
I've dealt with ones for the 93 year old, but that leaves Himself and our adult sons.

They're not into field sports or football/cricket/rugby, but do the climbing, walking, skiing, photography type things. They like 'clever', they like humour, they're all into electronic things too.

Cheers.
M

Last edited:

pixelseventy2

May 11, 2015
Stoke-on-Trent
Hi. If they like computers, crime or mystery, I can recommend The Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford Stoll. True story of tracking down computer hackers in the mid 80's.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I can heartily commend "The Long Earth" series which is a Terry Pratchett collaboration. Very odd series thinking about the effect on humanity of an infinite number of "Earths" - good sci fi but interesting sociology too.

pixelseventy2

May 11, 2015
Stoke-on-Trent
I can heartily commend "The Long Earth" series which is a Terry Pratchett collaboration. Very odd series thinking about the effect on humanity of an infinite number of "Earths" - good sci fi but interesting sociology too.
I enjoyed Long Earth, couldn't get into Long War though. Will have to find it another go at some point.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
It may seem like a strange suggestion but one I read recently after seeing it mentioned on here is THE MARTIAN....all the 'LIKES' you mentioned are at least loosely covered and several of them you could be actually using to describe the book.....I generally have several books on the go at once and read them according to mood, this one I read straight through and know several other people that though they thought it would not be 'their kinda book' also read and enjoyed it right through.

DB.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
The 7 book (so far) collection that Game of Thrones tv show is made from A Song of Fire and Ice by George RR Martin that will keep them busy i recently got the full set on special at Amazon and i have to keep making myself put them down so i don't spend the next 2 months doing nothing else

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The Peripheral by William Gibson.

Seventy years from now, in a much changed world, it is possible for powerful or wealthy individuals to influence the internet today, the time difference is fixed, they can't move further back or forward in time, the time difference is fixed to us they simply appear to be just another person or corporation on the internet.

At the point at which they begin to influence the past it stops being their past, it becomes a different time line, they are free to 'play' with that world as they see fit, using their knowledge of past stock market and political trends to turn that world into a heaven or hell knowing that it will never affect them.

The story is mostly told from the perspective of some mid west hill billy types who 'get things done'. When the folks from the future put them on the pay roll things don't quite work out as they'd expected.

Last edited:

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Somewhat leftfield but most certainly neither "fieldsports" nor Bushcraft:

image_zpsdolt2q2a.jpeg

K

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Response to Tengu's suggestion.

Sorry, but no.
There's no fun opening up a book token on Christmas Day.
At least with a physical book in hand they can chill out after our late Lunch/very early dinner, and enjoy it as the meal settles before coffee/chocolate/cake.
Our Christmas is very laid back :D

M

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Son2 reads recentish military history. Not into the Greek/Roman/Egyptian/Fertile Crescent or Far Eastern stuff though.
British, European and North American.

"The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes is one of my all-time favourites.

I found "Patton: A Genius for War" by Carlo D'Este a very good read.

"Black Hawk Down" by Mark Bowden is absolutely riveting but of course it's set in Ethiopia...

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
There's no fun opening up a book token on Christmas Day.
At least with a physical book in hand they can chill out after our late Lunch/very early dinner, and enjoy it as the meal settles before coffee/chocolate/cake.
Our Christmas is very laid back :D

On a tenuous link Biker sent me this little snippet of book lore which I thought was a nice touch

12250143_980942538611725_8847023531570428678_n.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE