Recommend me a sleep mat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Do you know what, I think that might be the one I'm using at the moment, will have to check next time I have my kit out!

As per my previous post it's actually a very good mat especially for the price but it has a tendency to bulk up a bit once packed down and I really want to go to the next level so to speak both comfort and warmth wise! That said if you after a budget all purpose mat you couldn't go far wrong with it.

There are better mats, certainly. But not at that price. :)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Do the Exped Synmats also suffer from cold spots or is it only the down ones that do? I'm looking for something 'mat-like' for winter usage and I do like the slightly higher side bars of the Exped range - they stop me from wandering...!

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Do the Exped Synmats also suffer from cold spots or is it only the down ones that do? I'm looking for something 'mat-like' for winter usage and I do like the slightly higher side bars of the Exped range - they stop me from wandering...!

Ive never had a problem with my down 9LW Tiley and its epically comfortable. The 7UL suffered with down migration. I contacted exped and they said this was normal as when you get on and off it down can move around. I guess its a product of the lighter fill weight compared to the 9LW. To be fair it was better after a good shake but i need complete confidence in kit im taking overseas. I also had a 9LW synmat (the older orange version) and never had cold spots on that. Ive no experience with the new UL yello syn mats but i dont think they are rated to very low temps from memory. The Xtherm is incredible warm but being coffin shaped is not as user friendly.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
On the subject of 'R ratings'

If I have use an exped 7 ul synmat, with an 'R' rating of 3.9

And I pair it with a CCF mat, or another mat with another 'R' rating, how do I work out what the new 'R' rating is, for the combined mats?

[Brownie point for anyone who knows the answer to that one!]

As most of us probably have a number of different mats, and would consider pairing them for colder weather, rather than buying a new one.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Dave i have no idea, I always sort of think that ground temp is a constant i.e if you are sleeping on snow the ground temp will not vary no matter what the ambient air temperature is. I would think a 7ul syn and a thick ccf will see you down low enough to cover pretty much everything. If im using my 9LW down i always stick a ccf under to protect it and its positively throwing heat back.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Cheers Paul. [Im sure i saw you sell a 9lw downmat not so long ago..how much kit do you own man! :yikes:]

What kinda CCF do people like then? Those Ridge Rests seem popular. New ones have some sort of reflective silver mylar stuff on them i think?

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've heard of a ratio when combing hammock quilts, I think you add half the rating of the cooler quilt to that of the warmer one.

So a 10*C quilt combined with a 20*C quilt gives you 0*C overall rating, I'll dig it out as it was quite an interesting read.

Not sure if the same applies to mats?

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Cheers Paul. [Im sure i saw you sell a 9lw downmat not so long ago..how much kit do you own man! :yikes:]

What kinda CCF do people like then? Those Ridge Rests seem popular. New ones have some sort of reflective silver mylar stuff on them i think?

Im not fussy with my CCF as i vief it more as a protective barrier. Ive used anything from the silver coated amazon £5 job to karrimats, multimats and army versions. Never really noticed a difference if im honest but then the exped is doing the work. I like the amazon £5 one best as its light and compact

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im not fussy with my CCF as i vief it more as a protective barrier. Ive used anything from the silver coated amazon £5 job to karrimats, multimats and army versions. Never really noticed a difference if im honest but then the exped is doing the work. I like the amazon £5 one best as its light and compact

Not a proper CCF but I remember buying one for a tenner from one of your links, came from China a while back, which should be good to use, under a tarp with the dog, as its quite large. In a blue cheapo sack with chinese letters on the side.
got a link to the £5 amazon one please? Ta

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Ive never had a problem with my down 9LW Tiley and its epically comfortable. The 7UL suffered with down migration. I contacted exped and they said this was normal as when you get on and off it down can move around. I guess its a product of the lighter fill weight compared to the 9LW. To be fair it was better after a good shake but i need complete confidence in kit im taking overseas. I also had a 9LW synmat (the older orange version) and never had cold spots on that. Ive no experience with the new UL yello syn mats but i dont think they are rated to very low temps from memory. The Xtherm is incredible warm but being coffin shaped is not as user friendly.

Many thanks for that. I reckon I might try the Downmat 7UL LW and use it in conjunction with my Thermarest 'egg box' type foam mat. It should cover the protection side of life and, with luck, solve the problem of cold spots.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Well the xtherm arrived and so far I'm impressed with! Actually smaller packed down than I thought it would be which is great and light as you like!

Considering its a fully inflatable mat (think lilo) it was fully inflated with about 10 breaths which isn't far of my old mat which is mainly foam cells that you add some inflation to.

It was slightly narrower than I anticipated but I can fit on it fully with nothing hanging over the edge and I expect it will take a little bit of practice find the best positions to lay on it but so far so good.

Whilst laying on it (and this may have been a psychological thing) I thought I could feel my body heat being reflected back to me and it was very toasty though this was just directly on top in trousers and a shirt.

The acid test was packing it back down which ... Actually worked really well, opened the valve and pushed the air out from the opposite end then folded into thirds and rolled back up.
Ended up just as small as it had come from the factory.

All in all I'm well pleased and although the final proof will be when I get it outdoors for an over nighter (hopefully in a few weeks) so far I'm impressed!

Cheers, hamster

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Well the xtherm arrived and so far I'm impressed with! Actually smaller packed down than I thought it would be which is great and light as you like!

Considering its a fully inflatable mat (think lilo) it was fully inflated with about 10 breaths which isn't far of my old mat which is mainly foam cells that you add some inflation to.

It was slightly narrower than I anticipated but I can fit on it fully with nothing hanging over the edge and I expect it will take a little bit of practice find the best positions to lay on it but so far so good.

Whilst laying on it (and this may have been a psychological thing) I thought I could feel my body heat being reflected back to me and it was very toasty though this was just directly on top in trousers and a shirt.

The acid test was packing it back down which ... Actually worked really well, opened the valve and pushed the air out from the opposite end then folded into thirds and rolled back up.
Ended up just as small as it had come from the factory.

All in all I'm well pleased and although the final proof will be when I get it outdoors for an over nighter (hopefully in a few weeks) so far I'm impressed!

Cheers, hamster

Good stuff. You do know the bag acts as a pump? There is a small hole in the bottom with a rubber gasket that fits over the valve.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It was slightly narrower than I anticipated ...

It's all part of shaving the grams off, a little bit of sacrifice for a little extra weight saving, I notice that in a lot of lightweight gear.

Terra Nova are a good example, when they put claim to the lightest tent on the market, part of the weight saving sacrifices were a bunch of useless pegs which are only useful on a crown green bowling green.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE