recommend me a down sleeping bag please folks,....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
hiya everyone,....
:)

i,d like to purchase a good down bag that can match performance as closely as possible to dutch cold weather bag i currently use,...

the general idea is to save packing space without sacrificing comfort ,...

i will use it in a bivi on the ground and in a hammock,.....

packed size is important as i'd like to stop using a full bergen just to carry my sleeping bag,...

what do you use?.....

Cheers folks,.....

Stu,....:You_Rock_

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I've a lafuma altitude bag. Its not down , an still quite bulkey, but nowhere as near as much effort as the 'grunt' sac. I've an old Karrimor down bag that packs small but am unsure of how it rates yet? Might get chance to try it this weekend dahn local wood ???

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Keep your eyes peeled for a good 2nd hand Rab.
I got a RAB Quantum Endurance 400.
Great Customer Service from Rab as well. Some of the stitching had come off the inside baffles, [my fault] and they repaired it for free out of warranty.
Yorkshire Company too.

PHD, another Yorkshire Company are excellent but I found them a bit snug.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Keep your eyes peeled for a good 2nd hand Rab.
I got a RAB Quantum Endurance 400.
Great Customer Service from Rab as well. Some of the stitching had come off the inside baffles, [my fault] and they repaired it for free.
Yorkshire Company too.

PHD, another Yorkshire Company are excellent but I found them a bit snug.

cheers Dave,...

i do rate the Rab stuff,....but why second hand?....they pricey?.....

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Depends on your wallet. I do think £260 for a bag is a bit pricey.
But a lot of people are happy to pay it.
I think I paid £120 for the Rab which was in good nick, Another £30 to have it professionally cleaned and it lofts up like new.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Couple of alpkit skyhigh 1000 on the bay if there any good. Your quite broad at the top so will you struggle with a mummy style bag.

Also you say down for pack size but not for the time of year you want to use it.
Is it for winter or other seasons. Do you sleep warm or cold.

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
+1 for the Nanok. Mines a -25 though and packs quite big.
Also use a snugpak elite 3 which is a good bag and packs reasonably small.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I have 3 different rab bags for use in different conditions, they are all very good . A good all rounder is the rab netrino 400 , it does not have a water resistant shell but is very breathable . I find this bag very good with a gortex bivi as it helps moisture to escape giving a nice dry sleeping environment . I have not used it in a hamock yet (as I have just brought my first hammock )but would imagine the same there .

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
PHD all the way with me, I use the minim 300 for most of the year, also have their gillet and I've bought my wife a Hispar 500 as she gets a tad cold.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Wow!

cheers fellas,....more choice than i originally knew,..

although i guess i'll be forking out one way or another,..the PHD kit seems to be a no-brainer ,.....

does anyone have a date for the sale?

Thanks again all who offered help..

Stu..

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The sale starts on 5th March Stu ...

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/special-offers.php?cat=79

I have Alpkit Pipedreams 400 & 600, very good spec when you compare them to other manufacturers, stock is an issue but it's worth getting on their mailing list for updates. They're supposed to moving their production to the UK but I don't think it'll happen this year, once that's in operation though they'll be a force to be reckoned with I should think.

To those with the Minims already, did you bother getting a zip fitted? I'm thinking with a hammock it would be more versatile?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE