recommend a fire steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alecf

Forager
Jun 7, 2009
Nr Reading
Well the ferro rod is probably what your after then, as they are much easier to use and get a large number of sparks.

You can get them from most outdoorsy shops with a plastic handle by the likes of light my fire, or purchase a firesteel blank and make your own handle for it from somewhere like http://www.firesteels.co.uk

Hope that helps!

Alec

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
In my experience it isn't the rod it's self that makes the difference but the striker, on some of the cheaper rods you don't get a very good striker but you could always make your own or use the back of your knife (so long as it is ground correctly on the spine, you are looking for a sharp 90-degree edge on the back)

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
the BCB firesteel is the same size as the light my fire and ray mears ones but nearly a third of the price, the only let down like I said is the striker, but it's easy enough to make your own or just use the back of your knife.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Like the previous guys said the ferro rod is the easiest and gives good results. The striker is the key though and if you don't want to use the back of your knife, a small section from an old hacksaw blade works really well. Hope this helps :)

JamieG

Jan 3, 2010
North Somerset
I use the Ray Mears fero rod and found the striker that came with it much better than my previous Light my Fire one. I would keep away from Webtex ones as the striker is not that good. I use the end third of the rod to get sparks not the whole length as you will tend to press harder in the middle of the stroke and end up with a withered rod (always best to avoid this). This will then break off and you have then instantly lost a lot of useful rod.
If buying a fero rod go for the larger size as it will take a bit more abuse when you first get to grips with it.
My knife back gives even more sparks.
Enjoy using your fero rod - when you master it have a go at the old technique of a piece of flint and steel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE