Recognised Bushcraft/Survival Skills qualifications?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 27, 2011
Coventry
I already work with various groups, introducing them to walking, climbing, orienteering and I am a leader with the Dof E. My employers are looking to train me to deliver BASIC bushcraft /survival skills to these groups. I first looked at gaining a nationally recognised award but their doesnt appear to be one? I have already attended a 2 day intro to survival techniques which touched on many subjects but to gain more in depth knowledge my idea is to attend 1 day courses on the fundamentals ie; fire lighting, water purification, shelters and basic food foraging which should hopefully provide me with enough knowledge to introduce others. Any thoughts appreciated. I live in Coventry.
Thanks

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The only structured course I know of is the NCFE scheme John Rhyder runs at Woodcraft School, I don't think it's that highly regarded amongst the bushcraft schools as they'd prefer experience over paper work any day of the week. It might be an avenue to think about if an employers requesting a certificate of some sort ....

http://woodcraft-school.co.uk/

I would find a good local school and do a couple of courses talk to the instructors about what you want
I assume your current knowledge exp skills and Certs equip you to deal with and teach other outdoor activities to the groups etc for basic stuff you should just need to add the new skill sets and use your teaching to pass them on ... it obviously doesn't give depth and range to the area but that mostly comes with experience and should be fine as a basic introduction with info how they can pursue further if wanted

the local school should be able to help you and target it to you teaching etc

obviously it doesn't get you certificate that can be shown to HSE or insurance companies but as pointed out ther is only one current choice which not every body agrees on and its a 1yr course ( i think)

ATB

Duncan

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you're in Coventry why not come along to the next Midlands meet at Rough Close and have a chat with people there.

It may not be a course but there'll be people, including myself, who are happy to show you some basic skills.

Last edited:

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
If you are looking for a qualification that is recognised by the formal education sector then as Shewie has already mentioned, the only validated one is the NCFE qualification set up by John Rhyder. This will give you a qualification at Level 3 in the English National Qualification Framework ( same level as an A-level).

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Again not an officially recognized certification, but the Woodlore school put their instructors through various loops until they 'qualify' as 'Fundamental Instructors', more here.

They do some to run through their main instructors so the road to the top may me a short one. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm not sure you can have a qualification in 'Bushcraft' as such. In terms of safety and survival other officially recognised courses in things like Mountain Leadership et al would cover all the basic needs? Its a tad preposterous to grant 'awards' in things like fire lighting or shelter building, things that were in my youth the domain of groups like the Boy Scouts movement.

When asked what Bushcraft is the common answer is something like 'It's too broad a topic...' So, inline with many 'accredited' awards dished out these days the question should be "How much is the paper worth".

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I agree Rik, it is preposterous, but also a fact of modern employment, that those of us working in the formal education field need these 'qualifications' to show our 'managers' (who rarely leave their offices) that we can do things that we have been doing for years !!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I agree Rik, it is preposterous, but also a fact of modern employment, that those of us working in the formal education field need these 'qualifications' to show our 'managers' (who rarely leave their offices) that we can do things that we have been doing for years !!

Come into nursing and see the bits paper/courses you have to attend. Thing is, who is going to say those giving out the chits are any good?

I'm pretty good with Corel Draw/Photoshop and I'll knock out a top looking certificate, what do you want the qualification to cover ? ;)

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
I know in this day and age paper qualifications count for most things when its work/job related.. but imho I think that bushcraft and survival
are worlds apart... survival is first and foremost a mindset... including confidence. skill. and willpower. I think that survival is learned only through experience of a survival situation... be it a potential mugging on the street.. to a plane crash in the wilds of the amazon how you first percieve the situation denotes whether or not you will survive it or perish.. regardless of how realistic the instructors can make a survival course feel.. inside they know that regardless of any disclaimer you may sign when attending courses. if you were to sustain a serious injury.. or worse on any civilian course.. the instructor could end up in court... being sued or even charged with involuntary manslaughter....
An allergic reaction to a wild plant or even an insect bite/ bee sting can in some cases be fatal!!!
I have not been on any civilian course.. I dont know what qualifications you need to set youself up as a teacher of survival but imho basic first aid is not enough... toxicology... is perhaps one area to be looked at?
one of the main reasons I think that real!! experience and expertise is vital is that whilst my daughter was on a public service course in college. the outdoor pursuits teacher whilst giving a lecture to students on setting up camp and using cooking equipment.. lit a trangia stove in the middle of a circle of of students.. he had no idea how to extinguish it when the water had boiled.. he removed the pan of water.. then
he took a run up and hit the stove with a volley wayne rooney would have envied!! spraying burning meths all over the area.
this guy had lots of paper qualifications how he got them god knows...
further to this..
the same man had taken the sudents on a land navigation trip.. and got lost before he had even reached the start point.. of the exercise...
whilst there.. a friend of my daughters ended up showing him how to use a sighting compass... luckily the young lad in question had been in the army cadets prior to going to college otherwise they would have been in dead lumber...
bushcraft.. and survival... worlds apart!!!

udamiano

On a new journey
I've been involved in the setting up of courses of all levels over the past 15 years, and just to say as a note,that any subject no matter what it is can get a accreditation, as long as it meets a set of basic assessment criteria, some of which really have nothing to do with the subject in hand, believe it or not, To be national recognised a subject qualification needs to be listed on the governments S96 or S97 list, otherwise it is a local agreed qualification with an exam board such as OCR or OCN (both of whom I've written courses for),and while it is recognised as a valid UK qualification (usually vocational ) it cannot be a national qualification in otherwords there is no National Diploma in Bushcraft, this however does not devalue the other type, which is valid across the UK, but means that any institution can offer the same qualification with widely differing formats, and as such gives no standardisation.
I looked into writing a Nationally acceptable framework for 'Bushcrafting' a number of years ago, and to give you an idea of the task

National Award (Lv2) 8 subject units, each unit must have a guided learning of 30 hours per length of unit
National Certificate (Lv2) 12 subject unit, again each of which must have 30GLH
National Diploma (Lv2) 18 subject units, again as above

Although the GLH (Guided learning Hours) do not strictly have to be contact taught, the student does have to produce evidence to support the minimum number of hours have been put into study.

In addition a set of learning benchmarks have to be assessed, these need to be given a three tire grading, these being PASS, MERIT, and DISTINCTION, each of which need to clearly set out what is required in order to meet the assessment. This is unlike Degree level qualifications which are more subjective in otherwords the student are give a basic requirement and them the level at which the student performs is awarded.

After all this the Qualification then requires a system of formal internal verification (IV)by someone other that the instructor.
After which it is subject to external Verification by a board nominated External Verifier (EV).

The above is a minimum requirement to get on the National Qualification Framework, and as you can imagine Levels 3 and above require their own structures.

Hope this helps to understand the requirement of any subject qualification to be universally recognised as a Industry Standard.

Just in case you need to know how I know all this:

I hold a Bachelor of Education from the University of Warwick
Spent 15 years as a Post 16 Teacher in FE Colleges and Universities with QTLS accreditation
Have been both a Internal and External Verifier for 3 Exam boards
Have written 7 courses including 3 National Diplomas at level 3 and Industry Standard Qualifications.

willpower

Oct 4, 2010
Dorset
I did Woodcraft Schools instructor course and would definitly recommend it. Gives a good grounding in the essential skills and because there are lots of assesments- theoretical as well as practical it is a good motivator to learn. You don't come out an expert of course- that's a life long achievement- if you're lucky- but definitly gave me the confidence to teach basic bc skills well. There is lots of emphasis on lesson delivery and methods so it really builds your confidence. There's also a strong focus on tree and plant id and woodland ecology so you really get to understand your environment too.

plainsurvivor

Sep 20, 2011
salisbury wilts
hi all, iam new on here so hello to everyone, iv been reading these threads with interest! i would like to know your opinions on where i stand on qualifications? iam a army survival instructor, i also have the following quals: team medic, army instructor, pttlls (civilian instructor course) skill at arms instructor, would this make me qualified to teach survival and bush craft?? would this equal the civilian courses? i ask as i do a bit of outside work and really enjoy it, and ideally would like to do it full time at some point
many thanks sean

Dec 16, 2007
Hi Plainsurvivor and welcome.
What you will find in life is that your military qualification will mean squat in civi life. I have a load of outdoor quals and had to prove there equivalent in civi life to get them recognised. As for bushcraft/survival instruction you may find that it will be taken in to account but there is NO civi equivalent as for the medic qual you would need a first aid at work ticket from st johns or a IHCD paramedic ticket to claim the medic in civi life, I have met loads of ex army medics and they ALL had to do the ambulance service training to work for an ambulance trust.
Hope that helps.

Swampy

Dec 16, 2007
Hi Plainsurvivor and welcome.
What you will find in life is that your military qualification will mean squat in civi life. I have a load of outdoor quals and had to prove there equivalent in civi life to get them recognised. As for bushcraft/survival instruction you may find that it will be taken in to account but there is NO civi equivalent as for the medic qual you would need a first aid at work ticket from st johns or a IHCD paramedic ticket to claim the medic in civi life, I have met loads of ex army medics and they ALL had to do the ambulance service training to work for an ambulance trust.
Hope that helps.

Swampy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE