Recipes for elderberries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Its amazing i'm reletively new to bushcraft and i'm starting to see things differently (bushcraft eyes if you will). I was in my girlfriends garden and noticed 2 different berries growing they have always been there but i just never noticed, albeit they are quite common. So getting to the point i was wondering if you can suggest and or give me some recipes that i can use elderberries and blackberries for. Idealy some form of bread or scone or something like that.

Thanks Phil,

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
you could make some booz with the berries to.

all you need is some coke bottles sugar yeast and lemon juice.......

boil the fruit in a pan with 1 3/4 litre of water until soft strain the juice into a clean pot give the fruit a very light push with a spoon to get it all out.

wait until the liquid is warm but not hot (teppid) pour it into the bottle untill half full add 1 tea spoon of yeast and 450g of sugar and half a lemon juice top up with juice until 4-5 inches from the top.

place the bottle cap on very loosly and place in a bucket in case of over spill (this stuff will stain FOR GOOD)

leave for 6-8 weeks in a warmish place, then secure the lid and leave as long as you can with out drinking it.....lol.....

hope this helps........any questions pm or post up.....

chris.......

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
deffinately keep those in mind, might do the pie mouth watering already lol, do i need to remove the seeds?

No, particularly if you put blackberries in too. You won't notice the seeds and you will be doing your bit to distribute them :)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
na i dont bother, well just the apple cores......

wash the fruit core and peel the apples and slice into slices about 3-4mm thick. add the fruit and apple to an oven proof dish sprinkle with sugar and add a nob of butter or 2. cover with crumble mix or pastry and cook in an oven for about an hour at 130-140 c gas 4-5 untill brown....

its awesome with ice cream or cream....mmmmmm yummy.......

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
I made some elderberry and apple jelly yesterday: 8lb of elderberries, 4lb of apples, 3lb sugar 2lb jam sugar and a lot of simmering. Made 10 Jars - so I hope it tastes good...

Rat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE