recently purchased hilltrek braemar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 25, 2010
scotland
Hi all..
I am seriously considering purchasing a hilltrek single layer ventile braemar smock, havind done some research into past threads here on bushcraft uk it seamed that it s a good piece of kit and something that would complement very well the outdoor clothing that i use, however in past threads, going back a few years, some of you who owned these commented on the poor hood design, saying that it was on the small side.. the hilltrek website says that they are constantly improving on design and i was wandering if there are any of you who have a more recent braemar smock who would be happy to give me a little feedback on their view of the smock, design & hood.. I know that tailoring is an option but it does seem that the size large measurments would fit me fine..
any feedback very much appreciated..

thankyou ..

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I don't think the older hoods are bad to be honest. I've had mine for a few years now and yeah the hood is smallish but not tiny. I'm 5'11 and a 38ish chest, the small fits me fine for how I wear it (just a base layer underneath usually though there's room for more). I prefer a smaller hood for all-round visibility and the Braemar suits me fine.

Here's a couple of pics of how I usually wear mine with a Buff if the weathers turned nasty. (I put the Buff on for the pics because it's way too early in the morning to subject to you to my ugly mug :) )

P1010387.jpg

P1010388.jpg

HTH,
Stuart

Mar 25, 2010
scotland
thankyou stuart69 for your feedback especially the effort to take photos and all , much appreciated.. as you dont get the chance to see these details on websites etc,
as you have had yours for some time ive no doubt it has seen a fair ammount of weather .. rain in particular is the question, how water repellant do you rate it?..
thanks again.. oh yeah, and looking good for first thing in the morning, hope no one else entered the room!!!!!!

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I find it pretty good in the rain though I wear it more as a windshirt and when not expecting anything heavy.

It's great in our usual drizzly stuff. It does the Ventile stiffen up a bit thing but it's still comfortable to wear and I've had no problems in all but the heaviest downpours where it does get a bit soaked. A small waterproof shell in a pocket cures that if you get caught out.

I guess it's horses for courses really, I love mine and will always grab it first if the weathers looking ok but could get wet later but I'll take something else if it's chucking it down or wear my SASS smock over it for lot's of lovely Ventiley goodness :)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Stuart, interesting, that you put the sass over the top of it. I, to am thinking of something similar at the moment, but i'm leaning toward the sass one.

Rob

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
The SASS smock is a great jacket and I'll wear that if I need the pockets or the weathers already damp when I start out.

If it's dry or maybe just cold I'll have on the Braemar knowing that if it does rain I'm fine for a good while before I get uncomfortably wet. Then again if I have my Buffalo top under the Braemar I don't worry about wet at all.

I use the Braemar more as a mid layer when it's windy though it's capable of handling the rain if it needs to and it's prefect for about camp and sitting around the fire.

I run pretty warm and hate wearing loads of clothes so the Hilltrek and SASS work great for me one way or the other.

Mar 25, 2010
scotland
stuart , the fact that you mention the wet not being of any concern to you when you put your braemar over your buffalo is good stuff, one of my reasons for considering the single layer ventile option is to have the versatility of going over a base layer , swandri or my buffalo the later of wich i spend a lot of time in.. a fave of mine.. so being much more keen on the breathable and keeping moisture at bay option rather than the synthetic sweaty gore tex and the like, ( i to run hot ) its good to hear this combo in use...and of course the added plus of the ventile over the buffalo round the fire.. of course this sounds like a warm combo but going by the temps up here this winter, and indeed last, a cosy combination...

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Definately get one mate.
I had a double but it was too warm for me hence I sold it.

I have other ventile single layers and it's a better choice for layering purposes.
I run hot too.

Tom.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have the Braemar. I also have a big head. The hood is a little on the small side for me but not really too bad and if you have a normal sized bonce, should be fine.

I also have the Sass smock. That hood is more generous. It is also a better all-rounder, I feel, because of the double layers on the shoulders and arms and the double-layered hood.

But its a close thing and I like the Braemar a lot and would recommend it.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I have both the Braemar and the SASS Smock (and the Westwinds single Ventile smock). I often find myself leaning towards the Braemar-type design as I find all the pockets on the SASS get a bit soggy and rumpled when wet and catch on things, whereas the Braemar worn with a belt round the waist is a really clean simple design.

The SASS does have a better hood design as it is a three panel hood, whereas the Braemar is two panel and comes to a kind of pixie point.

The guys at Hilltrek will make you a Braemar with a bigger hood if you ask them nicely and it probably won't cost extra. They are really friendly and helpful

NS

Mar 25, 2010
scotland
thanks all for input and feedback, interestingly the other jacket i have been giving consideration to, besides the braemar, is the sass smock and thats the jacket some of you guys are comparing too .. i couldnt afford both unfortunately... so it seems stuarts is a ventile sass smock and his fave choice for wetter conditions,
so treadlightly and nonsuch as you also have braemars and sass smocks, are your sass smocks ventile or the currently used ventile sounding equivalent and how do you rate the current sass against the ventile braemar for weather resistance?
i know there are past threads on these matters but i,m a research geek when its time to spend some money!!! sorry! but then arent we all a bit on here, thats the beauty of this forum so many like minded in one place
nr

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
As far as the Sass fabric is concerned, I don't find any difference between it and ventile when it comes to weather resistance. They both perform really well without actually being waterproof.

The main difference is that the Sass has double layers on the shoulders, arms and hood, which is where things tend to leak.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I would say the SASS is more weather resistant as it has double shoulders and hood - it will probably keep you dry whereas you will get wet in the Braemar. On the other hand it's a "jacket" with loads of pockets etc and quite a loose cut whereas the Braemar is more of an over-the-head shirt with a hood and therefore a bit more flexible. My favourite combo is a single Ventile smock (actually the Westwinds one) for knocking about in and round the fire and a Norrona Recon goretex jacket for when it's really chucking down and I have to be outside for hours in the rain.

Don't go down the route of a double smock - I got one made up by Hilltrek as well but it's very hot. Only really suitable for winter. Waterproof though.

I have had both the SASS smock in real Ventile and the SASS smock in "Oxford weave" as they call it. Very little difference. I found I could see a little bright light through the "Oxford" but not through the Ventile and equally I could force water through the Oxford by scrubbing, but not through the Ventile. On the other hand, the Oxford takes up proofer better. I also had a SASS smock in gaberdine, and that really lets water through, although it dries fast.

NS

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2010
scotland
there is no better feedback or advert for a product than from those using the gear you are considering spending your hard earned cash on..
thankyou all very much for your feedback... all fuel for thought..
anymore always welcome!!
nr

Feb 1, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Try proofing in Nikwax TX Direct to improve water repellency. I have been caught out in a downpour with a 'proofed' Braemar Smock' and a Paramo shirt under it and been completely dry. As far as the hood size goes ask the Hilltrek guys to make a larger hood - they are pretty responsive to customer requests.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE