Recent night of wild camping - pic heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Thought id add a few photos from a recent night of wild camping that i did with a friend of mine. We decided to do this now just before the temperatures drop off and the weather deteriorates for winter.

We set off from my lovely abode around 17:00 in the evening knowing that roughly where we were intending to go would take around a 30 minute walk. The intention was to pitch our sleeping quarters *our tent in simpler terms lol* and get a fire going before dark which was estimated at around 18:10.

We set up and had a nice and relatively warm night greeted by a lovely crisp autumn morning. After having some stew *diced potatoes, corned beef, carrots etc* and some tomato soup at around 20:00 we started to settle in for the night ahead.

Waking up in the morning at around 07:00 was great as the early morning dew was being just burnt off by the rising sun and the early morning animals were out. Fire was started again and some early morning beverages made before packing up camp at around 09:00 for the walk back home.

Hope you enjoy and bare with me as i'm new here.

2009_0314photos0003.jpg

My friend making sure the fire keeps going to cook our stew

2009_0314photos0002.jpg

Attempt at an arty shot of the fire and pot, just shows how dark it really was

2009_0314photos0005.jpg

The fire and pot again

2009_0314photos0007.jpg

Our abode for the evening erected in around 15 minutes

2009_0314photos0008.jpg

The abode again from another angle

2009_0314photos0013.jpg

Early morning mallards on the nearest river

2009_0314photos0016.jpg

Looking back through the trees to camp in the morning

2009_0314photos0018.jpg

Again looking to camp, note the proximity to what i thought may either be a fox hole or a rabbit run

2009_0314photos0019.jpg

An image that was worth camping to wake up to

2009_0314photos0020.jpg

Another lovely image as we opened up the tent with the sun rising through the trees.

Hope you enjoyed them.

P.S. Just an FYI before it's mentioned. The fire and fire bed was created by digging a small hole about 2 inches deep by 8 inches long and wide, then lined with rocks and a perforated foil tin placed on top. The fire was contained within this perforated foil tin and wood placed over the top to keep some separation between the bottom of the pot and the fire itself. Cross braces were lashed together as can be seen to use for hanging our cups over for warming drinks and all non natural substances removed and placed in bins on our departure.

Daniel

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Looks like you had a nice time in a very nice spot.

Don't rule out winter camping tho. It brings different challenges, but can be just as, if not more rewarding than summer camping.

Simon

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
nice one! when i was a late teen nearly every weekend was spent like that,ah the memories...........

If i could spend every weekend out there i would but other commitments such as work rules that out from time to time. Thanks for your feedback i'm glad you like the few pictures i took.

The most rewarding thing from the trip was on the morning we were due to leave to come home. At about 08:30 just before starting our decamp we heard a big crash through the trees and when we turned to look a doe went bounding past us about 20 yards away. We wondered what had spooked her and then when looking where the doe ran from saw a sneaky little fox stood still staring at us, he must have been after a big weekend meal. The only thing that annoyed me was i had just literally put away my camera away but great to see nonetheless.

Cheers all

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Looks like you had a nice time in a very nice spot.

Don't rule out winter camping tho. It brings different challenges, but can be just as, if not more rewarding than summer camping.

Simon

Yeh to true however im supposed to be going out tomorrow as sort of a last camp before i start in the RAF. And the fact that the dog doesnt want to go out its that windy and rainy tells you something.

Lodian

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Some lovely photo's there of what looks a great location. I am sure it will inspire a few, who like me, should get out more often. Those early mornings are what it's all about for me.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Thanks for that. It was something a little new compared to what i was taught as a scout to creating a "traditional" fire/firepit. I did enjoy it and the morning made all the difference as it wasn't raining lol.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
The hole looks like it had plenty of scrapings at the entrance and big enough for badger maybe ? Was it a bank ?

Nick

Just off the bank of the river roughly 5 yards from waters edge. There was also another hole about 3-4 yards from the rear of our pitch which looked to be less used as it was crowded with fallen leaves with no recent activity from what i could see *yes i did investigate the possibilities* Also i do know there was a fox in the vicinity as it chased the doe through our camp in the morning so that may be a possibility.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think you did a good job, nice to know you spent a bit of time looking after the area after you were finished, no point spoiling it for your next visit. Good on you and your mates for doing things properly and not just burning the tent when you were done.

Lucky you to see a doe and a fox too, wish i saw that every time I went out! Keep your camera handy in future! :D

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
The bad thing was i have been told the deer frequent the area a lot but have never on my previous outings seen them and the one time i pack my camera away one goes bouding past lol.

Thanks for the kind words myself and all my friends believe in leaving things as we found them especially when it comes to nature as it wasn't intended to be littered and i wouldn't want any of the animals coming to an undue end as a result of myself or my friends leaving behind something that we could have easily just have thrown in a bin.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE