Reccomend Me A Good Tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
Hello boys and girls,

I'm currently on the lookout for a tarp. For the past year or so I've been using a poncho as my shelter, previous to that I used an IPK (hopeless).
The Poncho is heavy, cumbersome, sags under it's weight, takes up a fair bit of space in my 33ltr pack and it also never gets used as a poncho.
The only good thing about it is that any moisture actually beads off of it unlike tent material, and it has plenty of eylets to attach to.

It measures roughly 2m by 1.5m.

I'm basically looking for something that is nice and water resistant and packs down well, has to be cheap. And roughly the same size as the poncho, perhaps a 2.5m by 2m.

One thing I've learned with bushcraft is that I'm always trying to find more effective kit in replacement.

Thanks guys. :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If you want cheap and decent quality then the DD 3x3 has it all. Packs down small when you fold it properly.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Are you any good with a sewing machine? You could make a very simple tarp from silnylon that'd weigh very little and pack down to nothing.

Or you could buy mine :)

The borah gear tarps look quite good for the price

Matt

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
The DD can take most of what the weather can throw at you. I did rip mine along an attachment point in some extreme Ribblehead weather. Never owned the solo but I'm sure its as good.

If your looking for durability in those sort of sizes have you considered an army basha? Not as light but bomb-proof.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Have a word with bilmop5 of this parish. Has made me a couple and they are superb

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
take a look at backpacking light UK. they do several tarps from good makers and their own too. light but highly regarded.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
also check out trailstar from mountain laurel designs. us company you have to buy direct from but a gd tarp/tent/shelter thingy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE