Reccomdation For Walking Jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 11, 2006
Lancashire
I want to buy a new outdoor jacket and was wondering what you would reccomend. I want something that is waterproof, unlike my current jacket that turns in to a sponge in a heavy downpour! I would rather have something that is going to be warm enough and windproof without the need for a removable fleece. One final thing, a hood would be good. I cant really afford to spend more than £150.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Is this jacket just for walking or does it need to be suitable for use around a campfire environment too?

For a maximum of £150 for just walking I suppose a goretex shell is going to be your best bet although even goretex has its limitations and faults especially around a fire as one spark can ruin a jacket or even set fire to it or even in freezing conditions, and eventually over time the material becomes saturated and no longer works, so natural materials like Ventile or waxed cotton become better there.

As outdoor clothing is generally designed to be worn in layers it is unlikely you will find a versitile "warm" jacket without an additional liner of just a fleece to wear underneath. That way jackets can be used all year round as you just remove or build up the layers beneath them. But goretex is windproof so will cut out the windchill factor (as is ventile).

I think hoods come pretty much as standard on jackets these days, although personally I dont use them. Not only do they inhibit your field of vision, but they hamper your hearing too. A good wide-brimmed hat is much better imo.

Once you decide on the type of material etc you want for your jacket there are a lot of discussions about which specific jackets people perfer that if you use the search option above you should be able to find.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Buffallo jacket get's my vote, I've had 2 now since 1998! they will cope with most conditions unless it's really chucking it down! :)

S

Siecroz

Anthony Micallef said:
I would rather have something that is going to be warm enough and windproof without the need for a removable fleece.

I agree with Andy.. as he stated, you'll find it difficult to get a wrm and waterproof jacket that is effective. Certainly not one that is lightweight. Wax jackets for example and both warm and waterproof.. but weigh a ton, smell like mad and aren't great for walking.

The trouble is if you buy a jacket that is insulated and waterproof, you tend to sweat like crazy... this has the oposite effect as the sweat then cools your body down, gets your clothes and the inside of you jacket moist, which then gets cold. Also the de-hydration factor comes in. The more water you lose through perspiration, the colder you will actually feel.

It is far better to get yourself a system rather than a quilt :) . At least then you can add if you get cold (when your stationary), and remove when you get hot (when
your walking).

The Buffalo Special 6 Shirt/Jacket is great.. I have had one for years. It Comes with good ventilation in the form of pit zips and breathable pertex, its windproof, lightweight, wicks the sweat away from the skin and dries very quickly. Because of the pile inner it keeps you nice and warm. Price is quite high (but you get what you pay for). Snug Pak and a few other firms are starting to bring out very good alternatives offering similar design.

The only thing is that with the Buffalo you WILL need a shell. Gore-tex.. is good and I've used that for years. Thats just the patent though and these days many other breathable membraines at a fraction of the price offer the same, if not better material. All the materials are only good for a certain time before you have to re-proof them.. and as with most stuff.. regular maintenance is often the best option (Nik-wax or something similar... According to TRAIL magazine, Even Silicone fabric conditioner appartenly works!! dont hold me to that tho)

Anyways.. enough of my Rambling (hehee... BAD PUN ALERT!! :lmao: )..

bestest luck matey & Stay Dry

:umbrella:

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Possibly save a little more for one of the Kammo Field Coats in plain green?
coat_green_h200.gif
[/IMG]
http://www.kammo.co.uk/Jackets.html

Cheers

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Depends on what you're up to.
If it's walking, any one of the usual suspects will do (Lowe Alpine, Berghaus, et al.). You'll need to choose between a pack-light and a full specification jacket, dependent on the distance you're walking/climbing.
If you're sneaking about, ventile is better and doesn't cling so tightly when inadvertently lit by a campfire.
I've happily used three generations of Buffalo with both types of shell.

Aug 11, 2006
Lancashire
Chance, thanks for that. I will be mainly just walking and using it for my everday outdoor jacket during winter. I have a non discript jacket at the moment that I bought for £40 at an agricultural show that is no good in heavy rain. Before that was a Peter Storm jacket which was about £60 I think, it was ok but didn't last very long.

I'd rather spend £100-£150 on something that I know is going to do the job properly and last a few years.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Because the Buffalo has a Pertex shell it is water restitant not water proof.

It'll happily stand up to showers but not prolonged downpours.

On the plus side, even if wet the pile will keep you warm.

A great piece of kit.

Moduser

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
If, as you say, you want something as an everyday outdoors jacket that will last for years, then Barbour would work too. Something like the Beaufort is warm, waterproof and breathable. All Barbours last essentially forever, plus they look good for every day use.

The disadvantages are that they are heavy and don't have a hood, but I would just go for a hat anyway.

For £150 you could get a Beaufort and a hat (e.g. Tilley).

If, however, you want one that you can use to climb mountains with, then the Barbour isn't ideal (mainly because it's heavy).

Walkers seem to love Paramo - they do jackets that are warm, waterproof and windproof (and with hoods!), although I think they're slightly too expensive for you.

I personally use my Barbour or my Goretex / fleece depending on what I'm doing. I haven't tried Buffalo (I like being able to layer), but people here seem to love them.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Hi Anthony.

I've done a lot of outdoors walking and seriously considered the buffalo jacket, however, as I'm not always constantly on the move I discounted it.

This particular jacket has got rave reviews, but it is NOT waterproof, nor is it intended to be. The idea is that whilst the Pertex will shrug off the worst of the weather, your own body warmth inside the jacket will a) keep you warm and b) cause the water to evaporate away from your skin (it is designed to be worn against the skin, or with a thinsulate top at the most).

The theory is that if you're reasonably active outside in the winter months in inclement weather if you're out all day it doesn't really matter what you're wearing. You'll get wet. The fact is that this jacket works very well when you're active. However, as soon as you stop for any length of time you get cold. The idea isn't that you wear something on top of it, although you might wish to also buy a cheap-ish goretex shell (such as thisJacket ).

In my experience, multiple layers on any kind of walk (unless you want to go extremely light and with little stopping, such as hill running) work best and are most flexible.

I've also read reviews on Outdoor Magic (great website for outdoor equipment reviews) where many people run "hot" wearing this jacket - there's not much ability to vent either!

Not sure if any of this helps!

Phil

Aug 11, 2006
Lancashire
Thank you for your replies, I'm even more confused now! :confused: I think what I'm after is a jacket that does a bit of everything, keeps me warm and dry and is able to be worn without having to add other layers over the top of it. If it comes with a removable fleece then so be it.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Anthony Micallef said:
Thank you for your replies, I'm even more confused now! :confused: I think what I'm after is a jacket that does a bit of everything, keeps me warm and dry and is able to be worn without having to add other layers over the top of it. If it comes with a removable fleece then so be it.

How about this? Goretex Jacket

You could get someone to buy you a compatible fleece for christmas!!

Phil

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I want to get a buffalo Jacket........
I have done a lot of hill walking and my last jacket, a mountain equipment karakoram (sp?) cost me £260 and is a top of the range jobbie, but during a walk up a mountain in Scotland in the rain, I got just as wet as everyone else. I sweat a lot, esp climbing a mountain and although the jacket was shedding the water well and not wetting out, it could not transfer my sweat quickly enough and I got soaked. You will find that, whatever you get, it will not be suitable for all situations. Have a good think on what you want the jacket for before spending your money and try to get something that will suit most of your needs. If it is mainly rambling then goretex xcr is hard to beat, but not good in the cold, by a fire or walking through brambles or thorns, or over sweating.
Ventile is tough, but once wet, it takes a long time to dry out and is heavy. Waxed jackets are tough too, but don't breathe, so best for sitting on a tractor or a horse.
Paramo is supposed to be good, but needs re proofing regulary and you tend to get hot in them.
Buffalo has a big fan club, as seen above and probably below, if you do get wet, you will still stay warm, but its not good round a fire, near the brambles and thorns and not for summer use. Most people wear them next to the skin.
I am probably going to get shouted down now as jackets are a personal thing and some people may of experienced different things to me and some of what I have said, I have not experienced myself, just read it in trail magazine............

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I cant believe no one has mentioned the Jacket shown at the bushmoot yet.... Comes to that I have seen no mention of it at all on here - and its BCUK's own Jacket!! Does everything you are asking of it.

leon-1

In 1992 I was snow and Ice climbing in Scotland in a a top of the range TNF Mountain Jacket and salopettes, it was pretty awfull for the UK enviroment and to be honest it put me off gore-tex. I had at the time a jacket made by a company called Keela, it was cheap and cheerfull, but it's performance in the conditions that we had was excellent. The Jacket had been trialled and was in use by the RAF mountain rescue teams.

In the end I used the Keela instead of TNF mountain jacket as IMO it performed better.

I would suggest looking for something along the lines of the Keela Ottowa Jacket, this would probably still leave you with money for a fleece or pile jacket if you are frugal with your cash :D

Another option is to have a look on Gaynor sports website for Lowe Alpine Jackets as they do have them at some very good prices.:)

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Bardster said:
I cant believe no one has mentioned the Jacket shown at the bushmoot yet.... Comes to that I have seen no mention of it at all on here - and its BCUK's own Jacket!! Does everything you are asking of it.

Aaah...that's cos I couldn't go. Where's the link/piccies/ Bardster?

Tell us everything!!

Phil

Aug 11, 2006
Bolton
What about event fabric jackets supposed to be more breathable than gore??? cotswold has them in the sale around £109 for the montane superfly from £180 as people said before i think your better off with the layering system can be a pain taking on and off but it works.

Ste

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE