Real coffee in the field

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
All those that love instant should stir it with their wooden sppon they bought from the shop and boil the water on a fire they made with bag of logs from the garage!

Wheres the rush?

Red

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
Hmmmm....I drink instant at home, at work and at friends and yet you are advocating that I use fresh ground when I am out and about?! Did I miss the memo that said "instant coffee is anti-bushcraft"? ;)

I really don't get the problem here - you like it your way and I like it my way. I just think (and again it is just my opinion here and I am not imposing it on you or anyone else) that there are other things I like doing rather than sitting and grinding coffee beans in a field - and again, I don't knock those that do this. To each their own I always say!

Wouldn't the world be a horrible place if we all just liked one thing one way?

Now, join hands and sing...."Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah..."

;) :D

Dr O

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
(puts hand on Onion's forehead)

"Out foul Nescafe - go back to the floor of the coffee house whose sweepings you stemmed from.

Begone oh foul and flavourless brew - return to the 1970s cafe whence you came

Know now that you face the rightous sword of green beans roasted by hand and allowed two days to de-gas.

Tremble in the face of water cooled from the point of boil before introduction to the beans.

Hide not behind the paper that removes the oil of flavour upon filtration

Leave this innocent and return to the Lord of foul brown brews - I name him Mellow Birds"

aaaaaand relax :D

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Coffee is important though divisive - only Hot Chocolate is the true unifier of men (and women), topped with marshmallows and whipped cream only in the Holy Cocoa is salvation truly found :D

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Coffee is important though divisive - only Hot Chocolate is the true unifier of men (and women), topped with marshmallows and whipped cream only in the Holy Cocoa is salvation truly found :D

Thats a whole different arguement tho.

Now whipped cream - real or from a can (lights touch paper and steps well back)!

Simon

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Thats a whole different arguement tho.

Now whipped cream - real or from a can (lights touch paper and steps well back)!

Simon

LOL! HC is an inclusive faith - room for all denominations - the warm chocolatiness transcends all boundaries :D

Edit: actually, there is nothing I like better than to be in the middle of nowhere on a still and starry night, with the glow of a small campfire warming my camp and a mug of hot chocolate between my hands - bliss.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Got one :rolleyes: . They are okay but too much of a faff for field use tbh.

The latests device I have found which is as near perfect as possible is the Swissgold filter. No papers, lightwieght, perfect filtration (no grounds left), allows water to be added at the right temperature. Very, very good. Normally about £10 but recently I found them on clearance at half price and stocked up

Well worth the money for coffee heads!

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I use a stainless mug that fits on the bottom of a 1 litre Nalgene. The press bit from an old knackered press fits in perfectly, and I like a brew from it on a trip out. Wierd because I drink tea at home! Ratbag seems to be a bit partial to it too! He says I make mine Navy, due to adding a bit of salt. I haven't roasted or ground my own yet, but some stuff I had a while back was great and I once made a coffee up that tasted like chocolate, I kid you not. It was sweet and nutty, absolutely the best coffee I ever had!

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
That's very cool! It is rather expensive though - I use a plastic cafetiere mug which does the job for a quarter of the price!

I like that Cafeitere mug too. It makes a great cup and is simple too. I ended up sending some knives over to Britian to a fellow on BB to get a pair of these. About 3 weeks later I found them in a local grocery.:D

I like the gold fiter too.

Decaf coffee and Instant are crimes against nature...there should be some sort of international law against such vile practices.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Lets face it, a good coffee doesnt come easy!
First one need a good supplier of green beans,
then a quantity of them has to be carefully roasted at home,
put to rest, to de-gas, for 24h.
Then comes preparation, for which there are several ways to choose from.
Afterwards, it must be drunk from a ceramic mug. Not paper, not plastic, not any kind of metal.
All of these rules I can abide to when having a brew outdoors, with the exempt of the mug´s material, but thats a small compromise.
These days, on an overnight trip, I carry preground coffee and sugar in nalgene bootles, also some cream in small pre-packed containers as available in the supermarket.
Then this:
http://intranet.tatonka.com/infosys/infocgi/artinfoe.dll?4123&0
and some paper filter to fit it and it works really well!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE