Ray Mears - The Path of Grey Owl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Mr. Mears is a man of great conviction, and as he gets older he seems to find more courage in his convictions. He seems able to empathise, in a very natural way, with what he finds surrounding him in his chosen way of life, and to communicate this in a very clear and heartfelt manner. He has, through much work and learning, put himself in a position where he can command the services of top notch technical resources and produce films of the standard of this one with a feeling and sensitivity that do him proud.

I, for one, greatly appreciate his subtle manner and his skill in communicating what is obviously heartfelt and deeply meaningful to him, and I suspect to many others among us here.

Mr. Mears is a man of great conviction, and as he gets older he seems to find more courage in his convictions. He seems able to empathise, in a very natural way, with what he finds surrounding him in his chosen way of life, and to communicate this in a very clear and heartfelt manner. He has, through much work and learning, put himself in a position where he can command the services of top notch technical resources and produce films of the standard of this one with a feeling and sensitivity that do him proud.

I, for one, greatly appreciate his subtle manner and his skill in communicating what is obviously heartfelt and deeply meaningful to him, and I suspect to many others among us here.

Unfortunately I find it the exact opposite, I used to absolutely adore ray (still do with regards his early stuff) but the older he gets the more opinionated and cocky he seems to get and that I don't like .. wish he would return to the good old days.

Geebe

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2012
Dublin
'Cocky' is probably the last word I would associate with Ray Mears.

My only problem with this beautifully made film is that it is too short.

Come on Ray, give us the full feature length version!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Unfortunately I find it the exact opposite, I used to absolutely adore ray (still do with regards his early stuff) but the older he gets the more opinionated and cocky he seems to get and that I don't like .. wish he would return to the good old days.

You astound me with your comment on his "cockyness", much as I respect your right to your opinion; I'd never in a month of Sundays have described him as such. I find his manner comfortable and easy and he gets across the soul of the outdoors very well. The only person who comes close to it, for me, is Paul Kirtley who is also relaxed and very much in touch with his subject in a similar way.

You can't return to the good old days, that'd just be stagnation; and anyway the internet is crammed full of videos and articles on all the stuff like how to sharpen your bootlaces in a survival situation or the best knife to skin a bear in the Yorkshire winter. Isn't there a bit more to it than all that stuff?

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Thanks Blunstoned for sharing - lovely film, great message.

Great post Macaroon. "Genuine" is the word that sums up RM for me.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Cockyness is most certainly the wrong word to describe what some people perceive as a change in RM's delivery on-camera. What I believe you see is no more than a man a little older, wiser and perhaps more comftable in his skin. With that comes an allied confidence that can be misinterpreted.

K

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
You can't return to the good old days, that'd just be stagnation; and anyway the internet is crammed full of videos and articles on all the stuff like how to sharpen your bootlaces in a survival situation or the best knife to skin a bear in the Yorkshire winter. Isn't there a bit more to it than all that stuff?

Great comment I think there is more to it as well, is this not Ray throwing his hat in the conservation ring, which I applaud him for, using a beautiful film to make a thought provoking point, we all love being out there but how long will it be there!
Is this the film that Obama and Bear intended to make - don't know ??

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
GREY OWL BOOK GIFT.

This might get a bit wordy so apologies in advance. Over the years the wife and I have collected literally thousands of books. Back in the autumn we realised that we had to let them go. We live in a small space and they were stored in a barn and unlikely ever to see the light of day again. We gifted a lot, sold some, recycled a few, and kept a box full each( my wife kept two)! One of the books I kept was " The Men of the Last Frontier by Grey Owl". I have no idea when or where I got it, I could have had it for over 40 years, I really don't know. I finished reading it before Xmas and loved it. When I saw this post my interest was raised, I really didn't realise how important he was. The film heightened my interest and I read the book again, finding a deeper, richer meaning.

I would like to offer this book as a gift To anyone who can answer the following question about Grey Owl.

What Tribe did Grey Owl become blood brother too?

This book doesn't offer great insights into Bushcraft. However, it does describe a way of life and landscape which has long past.

So, without being too pretentious the first person to message me with the answer will be posted the book pictured below. Don't forget to include your address.

It might be nice to keep this going, I.e the person who receives the book could do the same again but that's up to them.

97697c3353055f0852bf403edce54375.jpg

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Tengu it's yours. I'm not sure of the spelling either but you were close enough for me. Ojibwae was what I had in mind but I'm no expert. Will post tomorrow. I hope you enjoy the read.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, thats a little harsh Laurentus, but perfectly true, he was not capable of stable relationships. (or fatherhood, but we can blame that on his own family issues.)

He was a bit of a character, and not always reliable.

I for one get rather angry with him over his harsh words about his Aunts (Who must have been saints to put up with him.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE