Ration packs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I agree, no bacteria would be stupid enough to degrade Macdonald's food....

I was looking at a ration pack in Becketts yesterday. Personally, they look disgusting. Then again, I've never tried one. Still, dried baked beans and sausages in a tiny foil packet.... And at that price (£8 there) how good are they for you? Not that I'm suggesting going on a ration-pack-only diet.

Basically, I question the quality and taste of the food. Now I'm not saying that they should be restaurant-quality food, just that I'd prefer to spend a bit more for some nicer food.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Personally i went for the v1 menu, and quite shocking the tikka masala actually tastes quite good. Now, if they did a boil in the bag naan bread ?!?!?!?!? :)

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
There is nothing quite like walking 20 miles uphill, boiling up noodles and beans, .....and the group nearby are eating steaks, eggs, crayfish, fresh veggies, and tinned peaches in fresh cream...

They may carry heavy, but their kit gets lighter, the further they walk :)

neo_wales2000

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2004
wales uk
whats wrong with a fried spam sarnie for brekkie? good stuff.

Batchelors sell packets of dried mixed veg, onion, mushrooms, peppers, they are not bad, use the mixed veg with corned beef for a stew, you can use 5 min rice and a spoonful of curry powder to spice it up :)

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Biddlesby said:
Basically, I question the quality and taste of the food. Now I'm not saying that they should be restaurant-quality food, just that I'd prefer to spend a bit more for some nicer food.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the boil-in-bag stuff which is actually rather good. Same as Wayfarer commercial civvy stuff, it turns out.

My only issue with 24hr rations is the fact that half the calories come in the form of sugar for your brews (which I don't take) and deeply unpleasant cheapo chocolate.

(I actually like the weird biscuits)

Tend to do my own dried stuff these days, tho', and/or forage ineffectually.

Jim.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
zackerty said:
There is nothing quite like walking 20 miles uphill, boiling up noodles and beans, .....and the group nearby are eating steaks, eggs, crayfish, fresh veggies, and tinned peaches in fresh cream...

They may carry heavy, but their kit gets lighter, the further they walk :)

I totally agree - for short (day or 2) trips.

Longer trips without resupply impose limits on perishables, though, innit?

Jim.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I ate a 10 year old tin of rat-pack cheese on an exercise last year. It wasn't too bad between two fruit biscuits (biscuits, fruit, for the use of).

Mind you, I was rather hungry...

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
My wife gave me a the tip to use baking bags from the supermarket to use for DIY boil in the bag meals. Tip your cans of whatever, I like stewed steak and mixed veg, into the bag put it in the pan of boiling water and as long as you are careful you have water for a brew too and it costs a third of the price of wayfarer and such.

You actualy ate cheese posessed????? :eek:

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I have 2 memories of cheese possessed.
1) when the can saw a tin opener the contents squirted out under pressure. Which was nice. Not.

2) the cheese bouncing down a hill at high speed, like the rubber ball that it is. Don't ask why..... :rolleyes:

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi Folks,

Army ration packs are wonderful things, have been eating them for years; both tinned and the boil in the bag type.
Three weeks ago ate a tin of goulash that was at least 12 years old, had no problems with that, tins of beans from the same batch, still no problems, even margarine and processed cheese from the same batch with no bad effects at all. Just do not eat the contents of tins that are noticibly swollen as this means there is something going on inside.

Boil in the bag rations are also really long lasting, so long as the packaging is intact, have eaten stuff from those that is dated as far back as 1994, remember it is precooked and vacuum packed, so will last years and years, if it looks like it is off dont eat it otherwise just check the packaging, if its intact its more than likely going to be ok.

Hope this helps

The Squirrel Hunter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE