Rat pack shelf life

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Recently my local pub landlord gifted me some of his old RAF gear, just a few bits and bobs from clearing out the garage, his old kit bag, a couple of folding knives, bits of cordage etc. Generally some handy old bushcrafting kit.

In the bottom of the bag, I came across an old rat pack, bacon and beans with potato, along with a coacoa ration, hexy blocks and some windproof matches. The missus always loves to see me squirm and I'm an anything for a laugh kind of person, so I just consumed the bacon and beans pack. Dated best before December 1998. Making this meal a Kosovo verteran. Surprisingly enough I was pleased to find it tasted absolutely fine, and dare I say was even palletable! Does anyone know the actual shelf life of them? Because so far I'm calling the shelf life indefinite. I was aware mountain house style meals the dehydrated kind last almost indefinitely but what's the "safe" limit on wet rations?
Won't be using the out of date hexy because of the fumes but the food seemed fine and matches lit first strike. Absolutely astonished

MT606

Nomad
Jan 17, 2013
North of the southern wall.
give your guts a day or two then give us an update n we will know if the rat pack is good to use so long after ;) , hexy stuff should be fine still I'd have thought, it always honks.....

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
give your guts a day or two then give us an update n we will know if the rat pack is good to use so long after ;) , hexy stuff should be fine still I'd have thought, it always honks.....

The lavvy roll is in the fridge in standby I have to admit but tasted and smelled spot on! Only thing I was thinking with the hexy was the wax had chipped off and felt soft. It'll do to start the chimnea off in the garden I suppose

dragon32

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2014
Banbury, Oxfordshire
I don't know if this will be any use but I was a cook in the army and in around 1973-1975 we were given a load of ratio packs for soldiers in the field on exercise. They were dates 1945. Everything in them was used including the tinned sweets, irish stew, tinned milk and matches and hexy cookers. I also believe there were packs of two ciggs as well which smoked no problems. I think the only restriction is down to the way they are stored. By the by, I got hold of a current army issue ration pack the other day and they are brilliant.

Don

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I don't know if this will be any use but I was a cook in the army and in around 1973-1975 we were given a load of ratio packs for soldiers in the field on exercise. They were dates 1945. Everything in them was used including the tinned sweets, irish stew, tinned milk and matches and hexy cookers. I also believe there were packs of two ciggs as well which smoked no problems. I think the only restriction is down to the way they are stored. By the by, I got hold of a current army issue ration pack the other day and they are brilliant.

Don

Well that's asuaged my doubts about the veteran packs! The modern rat packs aren't bad, a good friend of mine is serving so sometimes liberates me them from the stores. A bit heavy to carry days and days worth but they taste ok and they're quick and easy. The chicken massaman followed by ginger pudding is among my favourite meals a d it all comes in handy Mylar bags!

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
I think rat packs are good as long as air didnt get to em, a few years ago i was given a 'catering size' tin of sausages from WW2 and they were in a tin packed solid with lard......bl**dy delicious!

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I think rat packs are good as long as air didnt get to em, a few years ago i was given a 'catering size' tin of sausages from WW2 and they were in a tin packed solid with lard......bl**dy delicious!

Makes sense excluding air with fat. I have some duck comfied like that in the cupboard from last season and it's still perfectly edible. Counting the days till I can replenish the stocks!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Whilst a bit fiscally challenged the other year I spent a bit of time eating old rations of various types and vintages. I was nervous at first as I thought I'd be spending time speaking to god on the big white telephone. I was fine and it stopped be pretty much starving.
Speaking to folk here at the time the general concencus was that as long as the packaging was in good stead then and not "blown" looking I'd be fine.
I was pretty weak at the time as I'd been loosing weight rapid style; over 12 stone in a year and the thought of the serious runs worried me as it'd probably have gone towards finnishing me off.
Boy did they taste good.
On the hexi block front I tend to avoid them as I don't want the "hexi-fairies" carting me off.
Hope you're fine and enjoy your new toys.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Put it this was GB I won't be throwing out rats with only 3 months left on the date from now on. Making me think how many I must have wasted over time actually. Suppose at least the cat got a good feed on the tuna rations.
Aye hexi fumes can be nasty. Cooked in an enclosed wildfowl hide with one once and felt sick as a dog for hours. Blurred vision is not conducive to good bags or good gun safety!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've eaten them after being at least 20 years out of date. No problems. I think most of the ones I've got now are 96 to 2004.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Bro, I want whatever you were eating to lose 12 stone!

before n after pics PLEASE!!

Well it wasn't a lot. :D
Was living out of the "Notfall" cupboard mainly and foraging. Supplemented with things like crackers and soups.
Will dig out some pictures when I'm back on the 'puter and let you see.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I've eaten them after being at least 20 years out of date. No problems. I think most of the ones I've got now are 96 to 2004.

Just drank the coacoa ration too, again perfectly fine. Although I know that literally doesn't expire. There was a rice pudding there too but the bag looked bloated so that's been binned

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Well it wasn't a lot. :D
Was living out of the "Notfall" cupboard mainly and foraging. Supplemented with things like crackers and soups.
Will dig out some pictures when I'm back on the 'puter and let you see.

Could do with a few months on that diet myself! Alas my love of pie, porter and bacon means I'll always be a husky gent... According to steph anyway XD

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
The quality control and packaging isn't what it used to be, a ration pack today will have a 2-year life as most of it is the same as the stuff on the supermarket shelf.

There are quite strict rules about their use and storage in service.

I believe that hexi has no shelf-life, however, it is being replaced imminently within UK forces.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
The quality control and packaging isn't what it used to be, a ration pack today will have a 2-year life as most of it is the same as the stuff on the supermarket shelf.

There are quite strict rules about their use and storage in service.

I believe that hexi has no shelf-life, however, it is being replaced imminently within UK forces.

In a way then the older the better to a degree I guess. As for the hexi from what I've gleaned online it seems in the presence of certain acids and iron compounds it can degrade and if anything just doesn't burn as well. I don't use hexi as a rule anyway save for in my amateur pyro for yellow flame compositions. Or starting fires. Reckon it'll be safe enough but feels a little soft and crumbly in the pack so probably wouldn't stay in one piece on a stove. It's being replaced with flameless heaters is it not? See to me that's not progress you can't use the excess water from boiling it in the bag for an after food cuppa!

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
The flameless packs have been on trial and in use for a while, but it adds to the flight safety risk and the hexi replacement was always on the cards.

Interestingly, the puritabs were almost removed from the new rat packs because nobody uses them, but they struggled to make the actual decision. Nobody wanted to be the bloke who took the puritabs out.

If you look at the current in-service rat packs, I wouldn't be surprised if there was well over 100 different types, some are not available for retail.

After living off them for months on end at various times, I don't touch them when off duty.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
The flameless packs have been on trial and in use for a while, but it adds to the flight safety risk and the hexi replacement was always on the cards.

Interestingly, the puritabs were almost removed from the new rat packs because nobody uses them, but they struggled to make the actual decision. Nobody wanted to be the bloke who took the puritabs out.

If you look at the current in-service rat packs, I wouldn't be surprised if there was well over 100 different types, some are not available for retail.

After living off them for months on end at various times, I don't touch them when off duty.

Removing puritabs to me is madness. They're one of the many things where I would much rather be looking at them than looking for them.
There's an amazing variation in modern rats, gone are the days of packs A B C and D! I only tend to use the main meal and breakfasts out of them. Handy but I would only use them to supplement fresh. Give me a brace of rabbits and a few tatties any day.
I can imagine them to get wearing after some time, as they say. MRE stands for meals rarely edible. But after you've tasted fox, slow roasted over a smoky pine fire. Suddenly that bland lamb hotpot in a bag sounds pretty darn inviting!

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
But we are supplied with bulk water in the field, or have to use theatre-specific treatment kit (such as the Lifesaver bottles issued in Afghanistan).

The Millbank bag is no longer in service, so the Toms have no use for puritabs, on the odd occasions when they are needed, 6 is often not enough and they are issued separately in strips of 10.

Getting back to rations, the concept of a 24-hour pack wasn't working either, which lead to patrol rations and 12-hour packs.

We now have an 8-hour pack which is similar to an MRE or a packed lunch type rat pack, can be eaten hot or cold, as this was found to be the gap which needed to be filled.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
But we are supplied with bulk water in the field, or have to use theatre-specific treatment kit (such as the Lifesaver bottles issued in Afghanistan).

The Millbank bag is no longer in service, so the Toms have no use for puritabs, on the odd occasions when they are needed, 6 is often not enough and they are issued separately in strips of 10.

Getting back to rations, the concept of a 24-hour pack wasn't working either, which lead to patrol rations and 12-hour packs.

We now have an 8-hour pack which is similar to an MRE or a packed lunch type rat pack, can be eaten hot or cold, as this was found to be the gap which needed to be filled.

In a combat or patrol situation I can see that making sense. Would only ever be needed in a behind the lines situation.
12 and 8 hour rats are a good idea I would imagine. A more realistic solution because that's how long you'll need to use one for. It still baffles me why the sachet drinks you get in the packs don't contain sanitizing chems. Still say the Apple one is a fantastic hangover cure too. For bushcrafting I think they're a bit too heavy and bulky if you're carrying a few days worth. Learning to forage and learning what I can eat reduced my pack weight. Knowledge weighs nothing.
The tiny bottles of tobasco are indispensable though. Just enough to give the food a bit of pep.
Have you ever been given the cold weather rations? I have a few lingering around but haven't tried them yet

Ps the life saver bottles are a great bit of kit. Self contained RO pump and microfilter is such a good idea. But pricy but what price can you put on water

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE