Rannoch sunset

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Like it. Well done, mate. Always nice to read something well thought out, spelt correctly and with some punctuation. An oasis of English language...

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
How dare you write something like this. Spare a thought for us trapped just outside London, fighting for personal space through the commuter belt.

Do they allow canoes on BA flights?

Very evocative, thank you.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I'd read this somewhere, hadn't independently verified it. However, this
http://mapzone.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/mapzone/didyouknow/whatis/q_12_54.html
from the presumably reliable Ordnance Survey website says that the furthest point from a metalled road in Great Britain is 7 miles, so I think it's about right.

Nice read but

- Solitude is a relative term. Nowhere in Scotland is more than six miles from a metalled road.

- don't think that's true as there are many places well more than 6 miles from roads.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
It did occur to me Rockall might be an exception. It is claimed by the UK as being part of Scotland, though other countries also claim it.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I'd read this somewhere, hadn't independently verified it. However, this
http://mapzone.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/mapzone/didyouknow/whatis/q_12_54.html
from the presumably reliable Ordnance Survey website says that the furthest point from a metalled road in Great Britain is 7 miles, so I think it's about right.

I'm thinking off the top of my head - Ben Alder, Between Loch Leven and Corrour, Ben Macdhui to Ben Avon, the head of Loch Morar - lots of areas more than 7miles from a metalled road.

Just got out my 1;25k Caringorms map, Ben Avon area well over 10km form a metalled road.

Believe me, I have researched this as I have a shelf full of Highland OS Maps and have done many remote Munroes.

Just surprised but that website is a game site, not a well researched website.

Last edited:

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
A beautifully written piece, Doc, which makes me want to strap my boat to the roof-rack right this minute, and to hell with the lot of them!

Call me a pedant if you wish, Doc, but my watch (with real hands) is a navigation aid and goes with me, although I do understand why you left yours in the car. I've always said that if you have forgotten what day it is, then you've achieved an objective!

Nowhere in Scotland is more than 7 miles from a metalled road? That is an outrageously city-centric fallacy, most certainly propagated by someone who hopes nowhere on the planet is more than 7 miles from a road!

Besides, mileage is relative to type of terrain. There's a cracking place I sometimes visit in the far north which is 1.5 miles from a road and takes about 4 hours to get to. I once took to the gravel beach of a loch in Lochaber as a line of least resistance in order to get some ground covered, and my average increased to 1 mph over 5 hours.

In the late 70's, a mate and I set about crossing Rannoch by canoe, which resulted in 2 over-nights in midgie heaven after getting caught up in the fankle of dummy leads and dead ends. The Moor of Rannoch Hotel was a welcome watering hole for the following 2 nights and we decided to call an interlude to our overall plan.

We'd had the brilliant idea of "canoeing" from Atlantic to North Sea by way of entering Loch Etive, "paddling" up the River Etive to Rannoch, Loch Rannoch, Tummel and the River Tay to emerge at Broughty. We could take our time as we had a fortnight to spare, but after "paddling" the multitude of fast runs, swirling pools, cascades and waterfalls of the River Etive by way of thickly heather blanketed, boulder strewn highland glen (some call it portage), and having elevated our position by 250 metres and 20 miles in 9 days since our white-knuckle ride under the Connel Bridge on the incoming tide, we stumbled at the first fence and got totally bladdered in the Kinghouse Hotel. We fell at the second fence, as we met Lachlan the Gamie in the Moor of Rannoch Hotel, who plied us with fine Highland Malts, assured us we were braw hardy cheils and enlightened us to the Highland equivalent of mañana, mañana!

We did return the following weekend to complete our journey to the mouth of the Tay. But my point is that distance is entirely a subjective construct. There are three cairns at the side of the road just before you enter Glen Coe, the memory of a tragic night in the 70's when three laddies lost their lives. They were 6 miles from the Kinghouse Hotel and less than 2 miles from the nearest inhabited house!

Many thanks for your writing and for the chance to make a virtual, if shortlived, bid for freedom.

Cheers,

Bill.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE