Rambling on.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rambling Man

Apr 10, 2010
SE England
Hi Folks,
It feels strange telling the world about myself...but oh well..
I come from the bushcrafty world of London(i know),although to be fair,i have spent the last twenty years or so travelling on/off...finding myself back in the big smoke to top up my funds by way of the building industry(in case you thought i was a banker!).I have always been into the outdoors and sports as a kid,scouts etc,running free ...!!!!!
I keep life as simple as possible,which means i don't own much...but have seen a lot of the world.From my travels my love of the outdoors has guided my life,i love my walking/backpacking,but of late as i near 43yrs old i find myself wanting to "linger" ,take in more......maybe thats why i find myself here!A foot in both camps as it were(sorry).
I look forward to using the site and its wealth of knowledge!!!!!
While i'm here,was wondering if anyone could tell me what are the differences between a backpacker and bushcrafting?(if there are any?),not so much the kit /physical aspects but more the "mindset"/psychological differences?????
Was'nt so bad after all....cheers folks
Time for a brew!:)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Welcome mate,

Bushcrafting encompasses all really.

Backpacking is just one of the genres of the term I suppose.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
There are all sorts of folk on here that go under the broad umbrella that is bushcraft. many are backpackers or do some backpacking.Its the beauty of the forum that you will get posts from those who take a very minimalist approach to kit (axe and a blanket) to kit junkies and fixed camp campers. The only thing to expect here is that usually there will be someone who makes you view what you do in a slightly different light..

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Rambling Man - welcome to the forum

Not much between the two really, maybe bushcrafting has more emphasis on the natural resources around us than backpacking ? It's all good stuff though and anything that gets us out there has to be good.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Hello and welcome.

What shewie said really, form my point of view I tend to think of Bushcraft trips as a more natural experience hanging from trees, cooking on open fires etc.Where as my approach to backpacking whilst not minimalist is definatley on the lighter approach.

I do think the two cross over and merge in all sorts of ways but its been out there that counts in amongst in all.

Enjoy the forums mate!!

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE