Rab Generator tear - repair suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
I've just gone and torn a bloody great hole in my most recent purchase - a Rab generator smock.

the fabric is pertex quantum, although ripstop it's fairly delicate. I should have known better than to wear it as a casual jacket.

Anyway, I only paid £50 for it second hand on ebay, so I don't fancy sending it back to Rab to pay for them to repair it. I suspect the cost just won't be worth it.

Just wondered if anyone has any suggestions as to how to repair it?

Sewing it seems like it might cause more issues as the fabric is so thin, I don't want to put more holes in it. I've done a bit of searching and found something called tenacious tape, which I think might work.

Ideally I'd like it to be unnoticeable, but I don't think it will happen. I'll have to just use it for hiking and backpacking now, no casual wear!

7003920413_7e639d2964_z.jpg

6857803082_ef738e057b_z.jpg

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nice rip there Chris :)

You can get iron on repair tape from haberdashers. It wont be invisible whatever you do but will still be wearable. I've not used tenacious tape but understand it suitable for it too.

Sticking 2 strips of pertex behind the rip and then glueing it on with Mcnett seamgrip or waterproof fabric glue will also work.

Some on here have actually managed to get pertex microlight and may have some offcuts spare, I only have pertex 4 which is thicker. Unsponsored springs to mind as he's sold offcuts on here before?

Hope this helps :)

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Thanks teepee. I'll have a look at my nearest haberdashers and check out what they have.

If I was to glue pertex behind the tear, surely the loose threads and exposed tear would still be vulnerable to further damage?

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
I wouldn't iron anything on... Go outdoors (and i presume other outdoor shops) have some repair tape that works really well. It's in a red tube and is about £5 but seals the rip perfectly

Snozz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE